Anyone Use Tritium Sights?

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
To my surprise, one of my pistols came with Tritium sights on it. They give off a faint glow constantly. I like them. Makes gun acquisition and aiming possible in complete darkness (*). Looking to get another set for the XD-9 Sub. Unlike some luminescent that will lose it brightness and go dark in about 30 minutes, These glow constantly. They don't have to be re-energized with a light first. Something radioactive about them. Not lose your hair and go sterile radioactive although I am going bald and never had any kids........Hmmmm.

* It's my opinion that you don't pull your gun and start shooting randomly in the dark until the target has been identified. You've got to verify it's a bad guy before you pull the trigger.

tritium_sights.jpg

Last edited:

doublestack

Had some put on my Glock 23 when I purchased it back in the late 90's. Eventually loses some of its glowing energy. The front green barely shows in the dark now, but the red rear sights glow much better. Think if I get a new set, I'll go all red or red front, green rear. Better yet.....think I'll get a bigger surefire flashlight so I can blind my enemy, then beat him with my gun so i don't get screwed by a lawyer!;-)

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Had some put on my Glock 23 when I purchased it back in the late 90's. Eventually loses some of its glowing energy. The front green barely shows in the dark now, but the red rear sights glow much better. Think if I get a new set, I'll go all red or red front, green rear. Better yet.....think I'll get a bigger surefire flashlight so I can blind my enemy, then beat him with my gun so i don't get screwed by a lawyer!;-)

Yeah, I've heard that they last about 12 to 15 years and then will begin to fade. Something about the half life of the stuff that's in them. What I really like about them is being able to find the gun in total darkness instead of fumbling around in the dark trying to find it.

ViperJeff

Administrator

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Dave, I've been very careful when looking. The ones that go into detail have said they don't fit on the .40 5.25. So I'm specifically looking now for ones that do say they fit on the 5.25 just to be certain

I wonder whats so different about the XDM 5.25 over the other pistols they make?

Arckadian

The rear sight on the XDm .40 is an adjustable sight. Unlike all the other XD model hand guns its the only one I have noticed that is like that. I think its cause that weapon was made specifically for competition.

oppo

Full Access Member
The rear sight on the XDm .40 is an adjustable sight. Unlike all the other XD model hand guns its the only one I have noticed that is like that. I think its cause that weapon was made specifically for competition.

Makes sense

Maxx2893

Full Access Member
Basically there's tritium inside little capsules for those sights. The capsules are lined with a phosphor and the tritium reacts with it, giving a faint glow. It's half life is 12 1/2 yrs and it's beta energy is so low it can't even penetrate your skin. It won't hurt you unless you eat it or allow it to soak in to your skin. Even then it's not a ton of radiation.

Bootstrap

Full Access Member
I've been recommended to get some of these for my glock, but i like the stock glock sights alot

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
I've been recommended to get some of these for my glock, but i like the stock glock sights alot

My Glock 30 came with them and I really like them. So much so I ordered a set off Amazon ($60) for my XD-9. At that price I couldn't pass them up. So I'll have to get my hammer and nail set out to drive the old sights out. Unless y'all have a better suggestion.

No, I'm not really taking a hammer and nail set to my gun. Gotta find a sight tool to beg, borrow or steal from someone. Bet I made some of your stomachs flip flop though. Lol

Members online

No members online now.