AR-15 based 22 need help!!!

ISFast

Ok so I'm fairly new to the AR platform so forgive me for my ignorant ass!

I am looking into getting a AR-15 22, but have a few questions. I don't know who all makes them and who is the best. I also was wondering is there any difference between an AR-15 22 and a regular AR-15. I might use the lower for something else but will probably use the 22 just for plinking and ammo is really cheap.

So could I put like a .556 upper on a lower AR-15 22?
Is the buffer tub spring different?
Is the trigger different?

Yeah I know I need lots of help. haha

I really just need a lower but can't seem to really find one.

ISFast

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...57786_757784_757784_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

Was looking at this what do you think?

811035_01_md.jpg

oppo

Full Access Member
I would feel more comfortable putting a 22 upper on a standard lower than I would the other way around. There are some differences between the 22's, 9mm also, and the standard rifle actions. I am not familiar enough with them to correctly explain all the differences though.

One thing I will point out about the 22 in your link is that it specifically states that it has a poly lower. I wouldn't use a poly lower designed for a 22 with anything more powerful than that.

ISFast

I completely overlooked that. Yeah plans were for something real big to go on top of that lower. Back to the drawing board.

Rusty Shackleford

Full Access Member
I have a M&P 15-22 like the one you posted, they are fantastic plinkers that cost about the same as a dedicated .22 upper. Polymer lower or not does not matter since they are dimensionally different and won't accept anything but M&P .22 uppers.

06e0d08adba1503f4721b7025e19932f.jpg

Swapping uppers between one lower is something all AR owners dream about one they first start, but honestly who wants half a gun laying around when you can have another complete one for a couple hundred more bucks?

I say go for the 15-22 and save for the big boy AR later...2 is always better than 1 1/2.

ISFast

Well I kinda work backwards. I have a Para TTR now which is nothing short of awesome. The DIGS is great but no buffer tube means swapping out for the BIG ar upper is more of a pain. Was just hoping for an easy swap where i could run the 22 most of the time then swap out for the single shot when i needed. I dont use the big boy enough to have a dedicated lower. Plus didn't really want to mess with paper work for something like that. The upper is a "part" so I like it that way haha.

Thanks for the heads up on the M&P 15-22 being different and not able to accept the regular AR uppers. Looks like I'll just keep my eyes open for a lower that comes across for sale. Oh and I think the extra high it won't fit in the safe in one piece due to the barrel not able to fit through the hole haha

cce1302

Full Access Member
most .22 caliber Ar-pattern complete rifles are not built on an AR lower. Colt, S&W, Mossberg, to name a couple.

If you want one compatible, buy the complete AR22 upper, and a separate AR lower.
CMMG, Spikes, Tactical Solutions, DPMS, some others make good quality compatible .22lr uppers

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
Ok so I'm fairly new to the AR platform so forgive me for my ignorant ass!

I am looking into getting a AR-15 22, but have a few questions. I don't know who all makes them and who is the best. I also was wondering is there any difference between an AR-15 22 and a regular AR-15. I might use the lower for something else but will probably use the 22 just for plinking and ammo is really cheap.

So could I put like a .556 upper on a lower AR-15 22?
Is the buffer tub spring different?
Is the trigger different?

Yeah I know I need lots of help. haha

I really just need a lower but can't seem to really find one.

ok its a little hard to explain but im gonna tell you how it works..
U do not need a conversonal upper at all, you can shoot 22LR thru the factory barrel. Its the same round as 223 but just a few mm smaller. All you really need is the conversion mag. As the round travels thru the rifling it will wobble a litte bit "side2side" Now if you do not have a mil-spec barrell. I would not do it. If u do It will blowback and catch bolt carrier and retun into battery....I will try and get liks for you guys. I cant upload anything on this site ......................G19

Rusty Shackleford

Full Access Member
ok its a little hard to explain but im gonna tell you how it works..
U do not need a conversonal upper at all, you can shoot 22LR thru the factory barrel. Its the same round as 223 but just a few mm smaller. All you really need is the conversion mag. As the round travels thru the rifling it will wobble a litte bit "side2side" Now if you do not have a mil-spec barrell. I would not do it. If u do It will blowback and catch bolt carrier and retun into battery....I will try and get liks for you guys. I cant upload anything on this site ......................G19

The conversion kits replace the BCG as well as the mag. The problem with them is that they are inaccurate due to the twist rate being way off and the bore being oversized for .22lr. You also risk lead fouling the gas port.

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
The conversion kits replace the BCG as well as the mag. The problem with them is that they are inaccurate due to the twist rate being way off and the bore being oversized for .22lr. You also risk lead fouling the gas port.

You should be cleaning after every range trip reguardless..If you keep you wepons maintaned well you dont have a problem gimme a minute and will lookup......

Soft lead from LRN bullets can lead your bore, requiring vigorous cleaning.
Lead shavings from soft bullets, and dirty .22 powder residue can foul up your gas port and tube some.
Blowback .22 powder residue will make the interior of your rifle filthy in short order, both around the chamber, and the gas coming back down the gas tube.

However, none of that is damage. Clean well, shoot plated ammo to reduce lead deposition, and fire a round or two of .223 to blow the gas system clean after shooting a lot of .22, and you should have no problems.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts