AR15 or Shotgun for Home Defense

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
I just wanted to know what other members have in there home for protection. I have my DPMS AR-15 with a reflex sight and my loads are Remington 45 grain HP....Your thoughts please.....:gathering:

Last edited:

oppo

Full Access Member
Actually neither. I keep a 6" gp100 357 magnum in the nightstand and usually have a full size M&P in 357 Sig on my hip. I prefer a pistol on me to a rifle or shotgun in the other room, especially with the corners and hallways in my house and the need to protect the kids at the other end of it and upstairs.

That said, a rifle or shotgun is a superior weapon, no question. I have always said that if the circumstances allow, the best plan for defence in the home is to get behind the bed with a 12 gauge or rifle pointed at the door. That is a VERY advantageous position.

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
:troll3:I have my Pistols in my night stand also, actually I keep my G19 with a TLR-3 under my pillow loaded with Speer Gold Dot 124G+P...

sixtyin5

Full Access Member
One problem with a rifle for home defense is that most rifle rounds will travel a long way. even after making impact with a wall... I would hate to miss a bad guy by a few inches only to find out that I did not miss one of my family members in the next room. The other problem is as stated above: long guns are sometimes difficult to maneuver in tight spaces...

oppo

Full Access Member
One problem with a rifle for home defense is that most rifle rounds will travel a long way. even after making impact with a wall... I would hate to miss a bad guy by a few inches only to find out that I did not miss one of my family members in the next room. The other problem is as stated above: long guns are sometimes difficult to maneuver in tight spaces...

Actually, with the right ammo, many rifles will penetrate no more or even less than most handguns. The 556/223 is a prime example. Also, any defensive round will easily penetrate multiple interior walls. That is definitely something to keep in mind when planning for a home invasion. Things such as a well placed and stuffed full book shelf, perhaps even reinforced with layers of plywood or something behind it, and staying away from rounds known for penetration can certainly help.

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
Actually, with the right ammo, many rifles will penetrate no more or even less than most handguns. The 556/223 is a prime example. Also, any defensive round will easily penetrate multiple interior walls. That is definitely something to keep in mind when planning for a home invasion. Things such as a well placed and stuffed full book shelf, perhaps even reinforced with layers of plywood or something behind it, and staying away from rounds known for penetration can certainly help.

Thank you kind sir, Thats is why frangible ammunition is produced......

Arckadian

I use my XDS and 1911 for home defense right now..... one for me and one fer the wife to defend young one if I go down.... But if they get me Iw ill make em suffer for evert scrape of ground :evil27:

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Semi Auto shot gun

I just like a shotgun for home defense. So many different projectile options with a shotgun. Although you can get shotshells for your pistol as well. Not sure of their effectiveness on anything bigger than a snake but they do make them.

I'm not sure how an AR would work as a home defense. Penetration of walls etc. But I'd sure take one over a golf club if the need arises.

Last edited:

Maxx2893

Full Access Member
I just like a shotgun for home defense. So many different projectile options with a shotgun. Although you can get shotshells for your pistol as well. Not sure of their effectiveness on anything bigger than a snake but they do make them.

I'm not sure how an AR would work as a home defense. Penetration of walls etc. But I'd sure take one over a golf club if the need arises.

Yeah, don't think I'd want to use an AR for the same reason I don't want to use a 22 mag. I want the biggest knock-down power i can get while still being controllable, which IMO is a 12gauge

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
Yeah, don't think I'd want to use an AR for the same reason I don't want to use a 22 mag. I want the biggest knock-down power i can get while still being controllable, which IMO is a 12gauge

Its called "frangible ammo" when it hits anything hard it disinigrates.....When it hits soft tissue it contines to tumble (FMJ) in 223 or 556........This will help you understand, I hope anyway....

A frangible bullet is one that is designed to disintegrate into tiny particles upon impact to minimize their penetration for reasons of range safety, to limit environmental impact, or to limit the danger behind the intended target. Examples are the Glaser Safety Slug and the breaching round.
Frangible bullets will disintegrate upon contact with a surface harder than the bullet itself. Frangible bullets are often used by shooters engaging in close quarter combat training to avoid ricochets; targets are placed on steel backing plates that serve to completely fragment the bullet. Frangible bullets are typically made of non-toxic metals, and are frequently used on "green" ranges and outdoor ranges where lead abatement is a concern.[2][3]

ar556

12ga pump shotgun with light, shorter the better. bird shot strips the meat off the bones and doesnt penetrate walls as far. we used to shoot rats in the barn and we learned that bird shot will go through a wall if too close ~ 10' or less, otherwise it would just kill rats and bounce off the wall. this is my only experience shooting inside a building. i would suggest a couple rounds of bird shot followed by some buck shot just in case the bird shot doesnt phase them enough. the light is for target identification/confusion(strobe), its hard to tell who is who in the dark.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.