Getting Ready for Winter

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
You will go through chains quicker too.

Yeah, I can see where the sharpener will take off more material than the file. But if you do it right........it's more of a polishing than a grinding. That's what I'm aiming for. Been practicing on an old chain today. Getting the feel for the machine and dialing in my angles.

Silver-Bolt

Full Access Member
Yep, this gives me all the wood I need to make it through winter.

IMG_2149EDIT-1024x682.jpg

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Yep, this gives me all the wood I need to make it through winter.

Though that may be true. I think you'll still want an alternative heat source. Portland isn't tropical. And the tropics is the only place you'll find the ladies dressed like that in the dead of winter.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Or south beach in florida. 2 on left will do. Always afraid I'd break the little ones.

I consider South Beach tropical. They have palm trees and tropical vegetation that are indicative of ..... the tropics. From about Jacksonville South would work. Although I've been in Orlando when it was pretty cold before too.

Silver-Bolt

Full Access Member
Though that may be true. I think you'll still want an alternative heat source. Portland isn't tropical. And the tropics is the only place you'll find the ladies dressed like that in the dead of winter.

Hawaii bound in a few more weeks. :chewie:

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Well we had our first little fire this evening. Didn't really even get roaring. Just a few pieces of kindling and two small logs. It did a very nice job heating the room. I think we'll be very pleased with it this winter.
IMG_20141018_200112_248.jpg

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
Nice, I have a fireplace in Florida go figure right.... but only about 2 weeks outta the yr is it worth messing with.... but I know what u guys have to deal with and it's a job for sure...
Concealed 27

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Nice, I have a fireplace in Florida go figure right.... but only about 2 weeks outta the yr is it worth messing with.... but I know what u guys have to deal with and it's a job for sure...
Concealed 27

It's more "Peace of Mind" with me. Having the wood stove means no matter what happens to the electricity or gas, we still have heat to stay warm by or possibly cook with. And I've got plenty more wood to split and I live on a property with a bunch of trees.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
And when all the chickens are gone we will have cat soup.

Lets hope it never comes to that. I am however prepared to live off the land as our ancestors once did. Having seeds for a garden and the knowledge to harvest game may be crucial someday.

Ahh, I've read too many TEOTWAWKI books. Everything is going to be just fine. Nothing to see here.....move along, move along.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Prepped the motorcycle for storage this morning.

Wash, full detail, clay bar, wax.
Fill gas tank, stabil, removed battery.
Covered and tucked into the corner of the garage.

Yesterday I went out to the farm and fixed up my deer blind for gun deer in 4 weeks.
Yup, the season is a changin'

kwo51

Full Access Member
Winter proofing mine means getting the gloves out. Best riding time in Florida. Bike loves it.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Back at it today. This is my wood processing setup.
OI000057.jpg

From the bucket, to the splitter, into the trailer, then gets stacked.
OI000059.jpg

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
too much fun

I don't know about the fun part. I've tried to make it as easy as possible. Not into "labor intensive" as I use to be. Like I said before, It's reassuring to have the fuel for "Just in case" situations. Plus we use the stove to take the chill off and as a supplemental heat source. And the glow of the fire adds a nice ambiance to the room in the evening.

Cue Barry White music and a glass of wine.

Members online

No members online now.