Getting Ready for Winter

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
It's certainly nice having property with plenty of trees. My dad has 160 acres. We've never cut a tree down yet for firewood in the last 18 years he's owned it. All you have to do is clean up the fallen trees. He also has a gas log splitter. It's still work but you can sure stack alot of firewood in a short period of time. Depending on the tree, a couple cuts with the chainsaw, then drag the pieces behind the ATV down the trails to the shed where the log splitter is. Logs go here, smaller branches go there for kindling. Simple

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
It's certainly nice having property with plenty of trees. My dad has 160 acres. We've never cut a tree down yet for firewood in the last 18 years he's owned it. All you have to do is clean up the fallen trees. He also has a gas log splitter. It's still work but you can sure stack alot of firewood in a short period of time. Depending on the tree, a couple cuts with the chainsaw, then drag the pieces behind the ATV down the trails to the shed where the log splitter is. Logs go here, smaller branches go there for kindling. Simple

We haven't actually harvested any trees specifically for firewood. Back in March we had a bad ice storm that brought down a bunch of trees. We are just cleaning those up. I still have quite a few loads of trees to bring over from their house. Maybe I'll make a load or two today since it has cooled down considerably. Not even suppose to make it to 50 today.

oppo

Full Access Member
Got up yesterday and as I went to feed the donkeys, I noticed something. There was ice on the truck. It was nice to feel cool weather again.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
33 degrees outside and all is well.

IMG_20141114_200200_956.jpg

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Was there a fireplace insert there first?

When we built the house we originally had a pre fab gas log fireplace in there. I pulled all that out and redid the fire box to look like a fireplace and installed the wood stove in there. Ran the insulated chimney straight up through the roof. The wood stove has a blower on it to circulate the heat into the room. And we have vaulted ceilings and an open floor plan so the ceiling fans circulate the heat that rises to the peak. So far it's working really well. Have a few bugs to work out such as insulating where the chimney goes up through the attic area but we got some Roxul insulation to do that. It's rated to 2150 degrees and can go right up against the chimney. We were getting a cold draft coming down from up there but I took care of that today.

That's a long way of saying "Yes" we had gas logs in there before. Lol.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.