Great guns at or under $500?

Arkansasguns

Full Access Member
Hey guys,
Just looking for some advice on a possible (very soon) purchase. I am looking for a semi-auto pistol and don't want to spend more than $500 because I plan to purchase an AR-15 platform rifle in the coming months and don't want to be waiting too long to save for that purchase. This will most likely be carried until the pistol I really want is purchased and I was leaning toward .45 but could be swayed! Thanks for any insight! (Also, this could start a good discussion that would help future handgun owners with the purchasing of their first handgun.)

oppo

Full Access Member
I got my M&P brand new for well under $500.

Are you limiting this to new pistols or are you including used pistols?

DOOM

ROCK ISLAND 1911 Should do you fine....also lots of options for upgrades if you choose.
Doom

Bootstrap

Full Access Member
ROCK ISLAND 1911 Should do you fine....also lots of options for upgrades if you choose.
Doom

What i was going to suggest, i got my Tactical for like $529, so a GI model should be even cheaper to come by.. Love mine so far, well over 1500 rounds into her w/o an FTE,FTF, even when shooting reloads.

RangerDanger

Full Access Member
Springfield XDS is right at the top of your limit if not just above. I've been thinking about picking one up sometime in the near future

bimmerland

Hey guys,
Just looking for some advice on a possible (very soon) purchase. I am looking for a semi-auto pistol and don't want to spend more than $500 because I plan to purchase an AR-15 platform rifle in the coming months and don't want to be waiting too long to save for that purchase. This will most likely be carried until the pistol I really want is purchased and I was leaning toward .45 but could be swayed! Thanks for any insight! (Also, this could start a good discussion that would help future handgun owners with the purchasing of their first handgun.)

M&P shield. Best ccw at less than one inch thick

oppo

Full Access Member
IF you can actually find one, this would be a good little carry gun if you want something small. I shot one a while back and have thought about picking one up once the supply catches up with demand.

Silver-Bolt

Full Access Member
Go to a shop and see what fits your hand. It's easy to rattle of brands but it's meaningless if they don't fit.

oppo

Full Access Member
Go to a shop and see what fits your hand. It's easy to rattle of brands but it's meaningless if they don't fit.

I think op is just looking for some suggestions to try out but this is very good advice. Better yet, find a range that rents what you are interested in and actually shoot them.

Arkansasguns

Full Access Member
I think op is just looking for some suggestions to try out but this is very good advice. Better yet, find a range that rents what you are interested in and actually shoot them.

Not many ranges around here to visit. I was just wanting an idea of reliable guns that people have tested. Even if the fun feels great in my hand, I don't want it of its going to start failing in 600 rounds.

Silver-Bolt

Full Access Member
Ark,
Stick with a well known brand and you will be fine.

S&W (Smith & Wesson)
Colt
Ruger
Glock
Sig Sauer
HK
FN Herstal

Any of the above will serve you well.

BrothersInArms

Supporting Vendor

When it comes between the M&P shield and the Springfield xds, the xds wins all day long. We've done action and trigger jobs, followed by test fires on both the xds and the Smith M&P shield 40. Completely unbiased, (we tend to lean towards a 1911), the xds was superior when it came to recoil/muzzle flip, trigger travel and pull weight, and smoothness of action. it resulted in a more accurate pistol. another big plus is that the xds is available in .45acp where as the M&P shield is only available in 9mm and .40. we now actually own and carry xds's.

Maxx2893

Full Access Member
Not many ranges around here to visit. I was just wanting an idea of reliable guns that people have tested. Even if the fun feels great in my hand, I don't want it of its going to start failing in 600 rounds.

Yes but it will also be bad if you buy a great gun that'll last forever and it doesn't fit you right. Nobody wants to buy crap, but you don't want something unwieldy and awkward for you either.

Arkansasguns

Full Access Member
Let me know what you want when you decide to buy. I'll check with my distributors, and see what I can do for you.

Thanks! I will shoot a PM when the verdict is in. The decision WILL be made Monday. I have work all weekend but am heading to 3 places Monday to put my hands on as many guns as I can!

Members online

No members online now.