Home Defense

CBizzle

What's everyones preferred choice for home defense?

If an intruder can make it past these two monkey's,

DSC00765.jpg

I've got the Benelli 12 gauge in Desert Camo that's in this pic on guard.

Barstow3.jpg

Arckadian

How ab out a S & W 500 for home defense :) The intruder will never make the same mistake EVER again :)

Cheytac-M200

The S&W 500 would be the best in my book. At least here in Cali. If you shoot the intruder, he'll just sue ya'. Or, if you put more than 3 rounds into him, or make a head shot, it'll be thrown at your for murder, not self defense. Better to just lay one shot and leave him in half.

Cheytac-M200

My favorite right now, since I don't have a S&W 500, is my S&W 327 TRR8. It's an 8 round revolver which I had sent back to S&W for a trigger job. Very smooth double action, plus revolvers don't jamb. Very important to me.

photo(103).jpg

photo(104).jpg

photo(105).jpg

Cheytac-M200

What's everyones preferred choice for home defense?

If an intruder can make it past these two monkey's,

DSC00765.jpg

I've got the Benelli 12 gauge in Desert Camo that's in this pic on guard.

Barstow3.jpg

I have to be armed in my house, cause this wont event stop a rat from coming in.

photo(106).jpg

Arckadian

Question.... It is kind of a bad angle so what is the black pistol in the case? Also is that a scope I see hiding in there as well :)

Arckadian

......... .... ...... I dont like you right now :) that is a fine weapon you have there. How is the recoil on it?

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Nice pups. I like a tactical shotgun. A multi purpose tool. The Leatherman of firearms. Birds, Small game, Big game, Home defense. It can do it all and does it pretty well.

Last edited:

Arckadian

I have personally never used a shotgun before so I would want to go out and do some shooting with one first before I made an opinion on if I would get one or not. I have heard that with some shotguns if you dont hold them right you can injure yourself.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
I have personally never used a shotgun before so I would want to go out and do some shooting with one first before I made an opinion on if I would get one or not. I have heard that with some shotguns if you dont hold them right you can injure yourself.

Well that's true with just about anything. You can get loads for shotguns that are called "Lower or Less Recoil". They don't kick as hard. Your other options are to go smaller in gauge. Start out with a 20 gauge instead of a 12ga. or even .410 has multiple load options. Also, pump shotguns kick harder than semi auto. The semi auto expends some of the recoil energy to eject the shell and reload. But all you really need to do is pull it in tight to the shoulder and lean into it a little. It's just a matter of getting use to it.

Arckadian

yeah I saw those. The last pistol I fired that had grips like that was the S&W 500 I mentioned before and that was a nice feeling weapon with those grips. Are they like most grips for weapons, as in interchangable? reason I asked is cause I have seen a nice looking revolver I would like but it doesnt have those grips.

Last edited:

BOJANGLES

Full Access Member
I've got a few choices, but at my place I keep a Benelli Supernova Tactical 12 gauge with a Nordic Components mag tube extension, an El Zetta floodlight, and ghost ring sights at the ready to be racked when there's a bump in the night.

at my Girlfriend's place I keep a Kimber Custom Covert II .45 with CrimsonTrace Lasergrips at bedside. Its in a BioMetric safe programmed only to our fingerprints since she has a young daughter.

The rest of my guns stay locked up when not in use. The 500 is on my short list of options I may buy next.

Cheytac-M200

yeah I saw those. The last pistol I fired that had grips like that was the S&W 500 I mentioned before and that was a nice feeling weapon with those grips. Are they like most grips for weapons, as in interchangable? reason I asked is cause I have seen a nice looking revolver I would like but it doesnt have those grips.

Not sure really. To be honest, I've never attempted to think about removing the grips.

oppo

Full Access Member
Before he passed, my Rott was awesome. He was the most intelligent animal I have ever been around and he was very protective of the people he cared about and I swear he had a sixth sense when it came to trouble. He kept my atv from being stolen, my neighbor's truck from being stolen, and my grandparents house from being broken into. He even broke up a fight at the neighbor's house.

My lab is a good dog and handy for retrieving birds but he is worthless for any kind of protection. The word stranger is just not in his vocabulary.

As for firearms, if you can hunker down somewhere with a shotgun, that is your best bet. With kids at the other end of the house, that isn't really an option for me. My nightstand gun is a GP 100 in 357 magnum. I shoot it better than any handgun I own. Also, I normally have my ccw, a full size M&P in 357 sig, either on me or next to me.

Members online

No members online now.