Hunting pistol forum

Mr.Downtown

Full Access Member
I hunt with Revolvers,Thompson Encores, Contenders, Remington Xp-100's. and M.O.A pistols. It would be nice to see a Hunting pistol forum.
Thank you,
Steve.

VIPR PWR HK

Full Access Member
I hunt with Revolvers,Thompson Encores, Contenders, Remington Xp-100's. and M.O.A pistols. It would be nice to see a Hunting pistol forum.
Thank you,
Steve.

Welcome and I always want to be a Contender .... What cal. Contender do you prefer or use ?

Mr.Downtown

Full Access Member
Welcome and I always want to be a Contender .... What cal. Contender do you prefer or use ?

Where I live I have to use a straight wall cartridge for deer so the .357 Max gets the nod. I use Hornady 158gr fpxtp's. The flat point does a better job at the max speeds. The regular xtp bullets will not hold up when pushed too fast.
I also love the 30-30 Ackley Improved. I so wanted to let the air out of an elk with it this year. I was shooting 150gr Accubonds out of it at 2500fps and really tried to get it done with this set up. The elk thought different and never gave me a shot at the range I needed.
My latest project is an on going battle between me and the reloading. LOL
It is a 6mm30-30 Ackley Improved. I want to shoot prairie (spelling) dogs and antelope with it at long range. Twisted to stabilize heavy 6mm bullets in the 105-115 gr range. Everything is going to plan except for having to turn the necks. Something that I do not have the equipment for yet, so I am stalled till I spend some money on new equipment and I do not know what I want to purchase yet. These are the Tender barrels I shoot most. I always go back to the Contenders since it was the first pistol I ever hunted with. I own one Encore, but it does not get to stretch it's legs very often.
Thanks for asking. Can you tell pistol hunting is my passion. :)
Steve.

ViperJeff

Administrator
Hunting pistol forum

Very interesting thought. I have the same concern with this as I do the Dog Hunting Forum. Is it one thread with lots of replies or many threads with an average amount of replies ... Mr Downtown, What do you think it will be?

Mr.Downtown

Full Access Member
Jeff, since most of the men and women here do not hunt with pistols. I would think that the minimum would suffice. I would like to see it build into something more as time goes by. I do not know how this forum operates as to money spent for band width and the like. Would it be a cost issue? That would be something to look at.
For me, I would welcome the chance to bring some powder burners into the pistol hunting ranks.
Hunting with a pistol is very challenging. I go back and forth between my iron sighted revolvers and my Speciality pistols. I will post some pictures and the story of how I ended up with a bolt action pistol chambered in 470 Capstick in following posts if anyone would be interested. :)
Thanks,
Steve

oppo

Full Access Member
No pics and my handguns are usually a tool of opportunity or for protection while a bow or rifle is the primary but I have killed hogs, small game, & varmints with my GP100 in 357 magnum & Super Redhawk in 454 Casull.

ViperJeff

Administrator
Jeff, since most of the men and women here do not hunt with pistols. I would think that the minimum would suffice. I would like to see it build into something more as time goes by. I do not know how this forum operates as to money spent for band width and the like. Would it be a cost issue? That would be something to look at.
For me, I would welcome the chance to bring some powder burners into the pistol hunting ranks.
Hunting with a pistol is very challenging. I go back and forth between my iron sighted revolvers and my Speciality pistols. I will post some pictures and the story of how I ended up with a bolt action pistol chambered in 470 Capstick in following posts if anyone would be interested. :)
Thanks,
Steve

Thanks Steve

It's not a cost issue. It having a Child Forum with only a couple a threads concern. I personally like Child Forums, it helps people find and enjoy a focused subject, with that said, I don't want so many that it's messy. So I will keep an eye one Pistol Hunting threads and if it seems appropriate and warranted, I would be happy to add a Child Forum

Jeff

Mr.Downtown

Full Access Member
Sounds good Jeff. In the meantime, where would you like to see the post put?
In the hunting forum or pistol forum?
Thanks again,
Steve

Members online

No members online now.