Need advice on choosing a crossbow

Hocker52

To start off I know nothing about them. Need some help and direction on choosing a good crossbow. Brands, models, bolts etc. Money isnt an issue. I just want the best. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

ar556

i have an older horton nitro hunter 175lb pull and it shoots great out to 40yds, havnt tried any further than that. ten point is really nice also but pricy. barnett might make some better ones, but the cheaper one i shot was complete junk. those are the only ones i have personally shot. the horton didnt like fixed blade broadheads, i had to switch to a mechanical head. aluminum and graphite bolts seem to shoot the same accuracy wise, i think the graphite might be a little quieter?

Crzyrobb

With the way the market is all the name brand crossbows are pretty good. You can go high end with a PSE 15i but not needed. For those starting out and wanting to hit the easy button with crossbows I recommend Parker. Parker sales a package deal with bolts,field points,broad heads,sling,case,wax,and lube. We ordered 8 Parker crossbows as a package deal for our wounded warriors to use and Parker customer service was great. The one piece of advice I can give you is watch the DVD about safety. Crossbows are fun and lethal but can be very damgerous if used the wrong way. I name Parker here because that is who I used but the other name brands are just as good. Find what fits your budget and don't choose one because they used it on TV. As mentioned above Ten Point makes a very good bow and my friends swear by them.

Last edited:

Txhillbilly

Full Access Member
To start off I know nothing about them. Need some help and direction on choosing a good crossbow. Brands, models, bolts etc. Money isnt an issue. I just want the best. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

First,decide on how it will be used.Each type of crossbow has it's +/-'s. Will you be hunting from a tree stand,ground blind,stalking,etc.
Recurve crossbows such as Excaliburs are great if you don't need a narrow width.
Traditional Compounds are not as wide,but weigh more on the front end.
Lite weight crossbows are usually pretty loud when shot,and the noise will cause you more misses than kills.
Reverse limb crossbows are the newest thing,and they are more balanced to the shooter.Plus they are a lot narrower/quieter than most others.

I bought a Horton Vision 175 a couple years ago after I shot about 12-15 other brands/types of crossbows at archery shops.I really like how this thing shoots.
The only thing that I don't like is the cocking sled that has to be used in order to cock the bow.If the rope ever breaks,this metal sled will be sent right into your foot at a very high rate of speed,and your foot/toes will be broken.
I always wear steel toed boots when I shoot/hunt with this crossbow.It's better to be safe than sorry!

010-8.jpg

009-7.jpg

Maxx2893

Full Access Member
Both my father and I have Parkers and are very happy with them. We have just gotten in to crossbows but they seem to be good quality, sturdy bows.

FarFromStock

My wife and I just recently started hunting on our property. We have never owned a bow or crossbow so didn't really have any points of reference and were quite overwhelmed with all of the available choices. We went to Bass Pro to talk to the sales staff in archery. Based on their recommendation, we decided to go with an Excalibur Axiom recurve crossbow. Given our lack of experience, we felt that this was the best option for our first bow/crossbow.

6845-Axiom-SMF-Kit-Image.jpg

My wife took this guy at about 20 yards, from a tree stand:

Attachments

• IMG_2823.jpg
    IMG_2823.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

TScottW99

Full Access Member
I have owned two crossbows. My first was an Excalibur and I really liked it. Super accurate, awesome trigger and very easy to maintain. If you were to break the string it would be super easy to replace, even in the treestand if need be. However it was very wide with the recurve and the areas I hunt are very thick and steep, only reason I got rid of it. If I hunted farm areas or less brushy area I would have kept it.

My new bow is a Parker Tornado. Very accurate, good trigger and much more compact then my first one. Since it is a compound you need a press in case the string and/or cable breaks.

One thing about crossbows is they are loud! I shot compound bows for years and still am not used to how loud this thing is. Super easy to shoot though.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Just "pulled the trigger" on one of these. a SA Sport Crusader Recurve 225#. I wanted recurve for ease of repair (Bow string) and not as complex as the compound bows. I looked at the Excalibur's. They are recurve exclusively for the same reasons and are a high dollar Xbow. The reviews I read on the Crusader liken it to the Excalibur but at a third the cost. I don't have it yet so we'll see what the quality is when it comes in.

SA Sports Crusader Crossbow 225lb Recurve 547 by Sa Sports, Llc for $299.98 : Rural King

I sometimes make my purchases with a SHTF mentality. If need be I'll be able to hunt silently and not have a complicated bow to deal with if something messes up.

Last edited:

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
UPS delivery. This thing is a beast. Very well put together. Can't wait to shoot it. Need to eat my Wheatie's with a 225# draw.

2013-10-10%2019.32.53.jpg

kwo51

Full Access Member
My arms are shot from arthor that is why I have a cross bow permitt. Looking for one that has a motor.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
My arms are shot from arthor that is why I have a cross bow permitt. Looking for one that has a motor.

I know with the line of crossbows mine is from they make a crank reel to set the bow string. It looks sort of like a fishing reel but strong enough to cock the bow string.
Picture48.jpg

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Say one the other day with assist for $850. Had what looked like a 12" compound bow on it.

I paid about $300 (free shipping from Rural King) for mine and the crank device runs about another $120. I know if you're looking at Excalibur they are pricey. I Didn't want to pay that much but I did want a recurve like they do. The one I have is rated at 225#.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlpMUD0THG4]Crossbow Cocking-How to Cock a Crossbow - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
This is the Xbow I got but from another source. Ad is kind of cheesy.
One thing they don't mention is the scope that comes with it is illuminated. You can switch between red and green illumination and it had flip up lens protectors. All around a great package for the price.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wX0Uja3C50]SA Sports 225-lb. Crusader*Crossbow - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.