Remington 700

Maxx2893

Full Access Member
Gonna be upgrading my Remington 700 BDL in .270. This is a project I will be doing in a few months and I'm starting to research it now. Will be swapping stocks to Richards Microfit Wildcat, Exhibition grade wood. I'll also be swapping scopes to a higher quality. Any other upgrades you recommend while I'm doing this? Haven't started looking much, but what are some must-do's or should-do's?

This is the first I've ever worked on a gun. I've done some light disassembly for cleaning before, but never changing parts (except scopes). Any tips or tricks on things I need to do? What is the best way to finish wood to get an extreme shine? Like I said this is my first time to do this so ANY tip and tricks will be appreciated. Even ones you think are obvious, state em, because I have no experience.

I will also be floating the barrel. I've read people bed the action when doing this. Is it required?

Here is the stock I plan to use:

Tigerwood_Wildcat_Style_RH_Side_10inch72dpi.JPG

Using this grade of wood:

Dual_Grip_LH_Side_Color_75dpi.JPG

Thanks everyone!

oppo

Full Access Member
Bedding the action is not required but it is a good idea. One other upgrade I would definitely recommend is to upgrade the trigger. The difference between the factory trigger and a good supermarket trigger is night and day.

oppo

Full Access Member
That is a good question. I have a Timney in one of my Savages and I really like it. I have it adjusted very light and it breaks like glass with very little travel. It was worth every penny and then some. Jewel is popular with benchrest shooters and supposed to be as good as it gets but I have no experience with them and they were quite a bit more expensive last time I checked.

Maxx2893

Full Access Member
Thanks again for all your help oppo

This is an ongoing project so any other recommendations from anyone is helpful.

Maxx2893

Full Access Member
For those that have finished stock before, how should I finish it? I think I am gonna use Tru-oil for a nice shine but I'm not sure.

Maxx2893

Full Access Member
Just thought of something. When I get my stock, do I stain the wood first, or just go thru the Tru-oil part and that brings out the natural beauty? Will the Tru-oil give it that beautiful look by itself or does it need to be stained and just oil to protect?

oppo

Full Access Member
I would think just the oil but I would contact them to find out. Surely, they can give you a good answer.

Maxx2893

Full Access Member
Yeah the more I read about it, it seems like stain is for changing woods appearance and simply oil is for bringing out the natural beauty. I will be going the natural beauty route. This project is still a couple months out (after season and the holidays) and I'm already getting anxious.

Txhillbilly

Full Access Member
Maxx,Are you good with woodworking?
You will need to be if you are ordering a Richards Microfit stock. They are not anywhere near a drop in/finished product,and will require hours of work just to finish the outer surface of the stock.You will also have to finish inletting the stock to fit your action/barrel. I would also bed your action in one of them,and probably pillar bed it also.

Richard's makes very good stocks,but a lot of people are very disappointed when they receive their stock,and see how rough they are.
You can search the net about them,and there are plenty of people that have bad things to say about them.
I know guy's that have bought and finished some of them.They all turned out fantastic,but they spent a lot of time sanding/filing/fitting before their actions would even fit into the stocks,and then they had to start working on the outside of the stocks.More sanding,filing,shaping before you can finish sand,and begin the final finish of the stock.

Jackemuphigh21

Hey Maxx I know this was an earlier question but you should look at the Jewel triggers they are as good as it gets and adjustable all the way down to only a few ounces and are just as crisp as they come.

Maxx2893

Full Access Member
Maxx,Are you good with woodworking?
You will need to be if you are ordering a Richards Microfit stock. They are not anywhere near a drop in/finished product,and will require hours of work just to finish the outer surface of the stock.You will also have to finish inletting the stock to fit your action/barrel. I would also bed your action in one of them,and probably pillar bed it also.

Richard's makes very good stocks,but a lot of people are very disappointed when they receive their stock,and see how rough they are.
You can search the net about them,and there are plenty of people that have bad things to say about them.
I know guy's that have bought and finished some of them.They all turned out fantastic,but they spent a lot of time sanding/filing/fitting before their actions would even fit into the stocks,and then they had to start working on the outside of the stocks.More sanding,filing,shaping before you can finish sand,and begin the final finish of the stock.

Yeah that's the only complaints I've read about them too. That and turn around time. I don't have any problems do some wood working though, especially not at their prices.

Hey Maxx I know this was an earlier question but you should look at the Jewel triggers they are as good as it gets and adjustable all the way down to only a few ounces and are just as crisp as they come.

Yeah, I don't have the money for a trigger upgrade right now, but I was looking at Jewell and Timney for when I do

Members online

No members online now.