Rock Island Armory .45

Good Gun

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

treysanatomy

I am not judging.. Just asking and stating a couple things. I keep hearing about all the high end 1911 45's needing the so called break in period...Some of the the R.I.A. .45's I am sure may have need as tight as they are..But, excluding the mil-spec and agent, I have seen many come straight outta the box without a hitch, why is that??? W/o a hitch I mean not just the 1st 100 rounds but 7 or 800 rnds...It's a $500 gun. $445 + tax for the Tactical... By far not the most beautiful but damn they shoot great... Anyone have good/bad experiences?? As will always be..I thank everyone for their comments and posts...

TheFuzz

Full Access Member
Depends on your definition of a "good" gun. I think for a starter 1911 or a truck/woods gun, they really can't be beat. Where Armscor (makers of RIA and a few other Filipino brands) cuts corners is in components and fitting. They used cast slides and frames rather than forged, their machining work is pretty rough (which is a polite way of saying that it looks like it was chiseled out by a trained monkey), and their small parts are entirely made of cheap MIM and get little to no fitting. That being said, they run and run and run. Why? Because their tolerances are pretty wide. They will never group like a well made 1911, but that doesn't matter to most folks.

I look at everything from a "duty grade" perspective, and what matters to me is the castings and lower quality MIM parts. Is it a guarantee that they will fail at some point? No, certainly not. Lots of RIA's have 1000's of rounds through them with no issues. Does it increase the likelihood that you may end up with the one MIM part or frame with a casting anomaly, air bubble, crack or other fault that could cause the gun to fail and get you killed? Absolutely. Armscor doesn't have the kind of QC that bigger manufacturers have. Sure you can replace the MIM stuff with billet Wilson Combat or Ed Brown parts, but that will easily add another $300 to the cost of the gun by the time you add in the gunsmith fitting, and you're still left with a pretty rough cast frame. So, your $500 RIA just turned into an $800 gun. At that point, spend the extra $100 and get a Sig 1911 which is a night and day better alternative for the money.

Again, it's all about what you intend to use it for. Range gun? IDPA gun? Truck gun? Go for it. Serious social work should be left to a better quality weapon though - not because the RIA absolutely WILL fail, but because lots of factors add up that increase the likelihood that it will fail. Just my .02.

tacticold

Full Access Member
I agree with everything stated. There are a lot of guns I wouldn't consider for duty use but that are generally fine as casual shooters. RIA's are the latter. I've heard too many horror stories about them to ever fully trust them to function at all times. The same can be said of many of the guns you mentioned that require a serious break-in period; I understand the reason for the break-in, but why can't they come ready to go from the factory?

That's one of my big complaints about Kimber's....they are nice pistols once you've spent $500 on ammo to break them in and replaced the recoil spring with something stronger. For the price they come at, they should be ready to fire, failure free, when you get it. That's one of the reasons I switched to a Sig 1911 Nitron Carry. I have never had an FTF or any malfunction, and it's one of the smoothest slides I've ever had the experience of shooting.

treysanatomy

WOW, everything said makes perfect sense..Now I hadnt had to have emergency open heart surgery the day after I posted I wouldve answered alot sooner..Thanx

TheFuzz

Full Access Member
WOW, everything said makes perfect sense..Now I hadnt had to have emergency open heart surgery the day after I posted I wouldve answered alot sooner..Thanx

Holy cow, glad you're ok! If you're here posting I suppose it all went well. ;)

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator

OK, you win for best reason not to respond to a thread. Hope you're doing alright and speedy recovery.

762Shooter

You take the risk of failure any time you pull a trigger. Just look at all the online videos of guns that have failed. Not through shooter input but just plain old failure. I trust my life to a RIA compact model that I shoot extensively. I also have a full size SIG 1911. Neither have had any failures. I have not had them to multi day courses where it is said every 1911 fails. I initially bought the RIA 'cause it was inexpensive and I could practice my gunsmithing skill on it. I found it needed nothing to make it work better just things to make it look better to my eye. In the end it still has cost me far less than a major mfg 1911 and usually shoots far better.

TheFuzz

Full Access Member
You're a braver man than I am then. I won't bet my life on a gun like an RIA simply based on the corners they cut in their manufacturing process. Like I said earlier, it doesn't mean they are bad guns or that they WILL fail, just means that compared to a manufacturer that has better QC, there is a higher likelyhood of a failure when the chips are down. Minimizing those odds is a smart move when you put yourself into harms way every day. When there are better options out there for not much more money, it kinda makes sense to spend the extra coin. Just my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions...

Members online

No members online now.