Self Defense rounds same price as Target rounds

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
I was able to pick up federal hst in 9mm and 40 Cal box of 50 each for just about same price as target. Thanks humvee

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
they are sold out of all calibers now when I placed my order they were correct about the plus p being out......concealed 27

Humvee21

Full Access Member
Was this the real Self Defense Rounds in the box, or White Box LEO overruns?

They're the actual Self Defense rounds that say "Law Enforcement" on them.

Looks like this
hst2.jpg

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
yep, I have been looking for these for awhile... When I was tring to get them they would only sell online to LEOS....

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
They're the actual Self Defense rounds that say "Law Enforcement" on them.

Looks like this
hst2.jpg

Good Deal !!! I know Federal makes a plain white box for LEO's too, just like Winchester does. I bought this stuff for $21.95 a box of 50. Said to be PDX1 without the Nickel Case. Much cheaper than $23.95 for a 20 rd box.

540d1360116562-found-some-cheap-pdx1-white-box-fbi-ammo-snwsd9ve-002.jpg

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
Here is the Plain White Box Federal HST.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWy2AB_AQYo].40 Federal HST 180 gr Ammo Gel Test - YouTube[/ame]

Smith

watch SGammo.com. They keep getting this and Ranger T in real cheap. Sadly like all other places it has gone up in price. Bought my last boxes from them for $27 a 50. Now its about $35

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
Noone has mentioned any 9mm Plain White Box deals that are likely LEO overruns. :shrug: Anyone know of any? I still don't have self defense ammo for my 9mm's. A couple boxes of 50 would fine for me. I don't plan on shooting anyone anytime soon, and until then I've still got plenty of that .40 PDX1. I may go pick up another box of that in the morning since I'll be in the neighborhood of Academy.

Anyone know if Ammo expires? I have no intent of shooting this White Box .40 for target rounds. I might fire off a few rounds thru some demin shorts into water jugs though. Just to see make sure I'm satisfied with it for SD Carry Ammo.

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
Noone has mentioned any 9mm Plain White Box deals that are likely LEO overruns. :shrug: Anyone know of any? I still don't have self defense ammo for my 9mm's. A couple boxes of 50 would fine for me. I don't plan on shooting anyone anytime soon, and until then I've still got plenty of that .40 PDX1. I may go pick up another box of that in the morning since I'll be in the neighborhood of Academy.

Anyone know if Ammo expires? I have no intent of shooting this White Box .40 for target rounds. I might fire off a few rounds thru some demin shorts into water jugs though. Just to see make sure I'm satisfied with it for SD Carry Ammo.

Ammo should be fine as long as kept dry and cool, just like your weapons. Right now I do not see anything as far as overuns let alone finding fmj. I can get Federal American eagle in fmj at my local shop, like 27 bones for 50rds. If you want some help let me know. I have 20rds of the pdx1 That I was gonna pop off at the range. Don't have the box for them, how much are u getting them for at acadamy?

Humvee21

Full Access Member

To be honest, I haven't heard much about white box ammo other than the winchester white box plinking ammo that everyone says is extremely dirty. I wouldn't worry too much about getting the white box, just get the standard HST ammo like in the picture I posted in the first page. You're only paying a couple bucks more, and like you said you're not likely to use them. However, I would recommend at least cycling it a few times so that you know your gun isn't picky about this type of ammo.

Most importantly, do the research on what type of ammo you're going to carry. Personally, I went with the Federal HST 124 gr. standard pressure because I found that the HST hollow point design does not clog even when the cavity is filled with denim. Next, I chose the 124 gr. because it is the perfect amount of penetration in my opinion. The 115 gr. did not expand enough and the 147 gr. was over penetrating. Next, was the weight retention. I wanted a bullet that would almost always retain nearly 100% of its weight and that was also NOT bonded (in order to maintain maximum expansion). Finally, I liked the fact that the Federal HST round was brass cased and nickel plated. The nickel plating offers more resistance against corrosion and also allows for smoother feeding.

Now AFAIK, ammo will not expire for a long time (50+ years) as long as it is kept in a cool and dry location. I picked up a $10 ammo can at bass pro shop to ensure that the ammo stayed dry.

I also would like to mention that my source for 9mm Federal HST is dried up. They're now officially sold out, but they do have other calibers .40 and .45. I will gladly refer them to someone who is in need of some nice self defense rounds, just please PM me as I do not like sharing the info on a public forum because this is also MY source for self defense rounds and I would not appreciate all the folks that are buying up everything in order to sell it for double using up my source.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts