Shotgun=Armour piercing?

Max

Full Access Member
Hello everyone

Still working on my novel, yet another question came up (I know it's getting a bit much).

Does anyone know if a 12G shotgun like the Ithaca 37, with "usual/civil" (for example grain) ammunition can pierce a bulletproof vest even when not fired at point blank range?

I know it's a pretty weird question, but I thought maybe you know an answer.

Thanks in advance

Max

Rusty Shackleford

Full Access Member
I doubt it, of course it will depend on the vest and the load but I would be surprised if anything short of a slug would penetrait.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
There is a shotgun round known as a flechette. It's a bunch of little nails fired from the shotgun contained in a sobot. From what I've read, it cares nothing about soft body armor.

21dmtjr.jpg

Last edited:

kwo51

Full Access Member
Have we discussed royalties yet? flechette are not legal in lots of states. A 12 gauge slug would break ribs. 410/3" slug close range my defeat some level 1 stuff. I would not like to be test person.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Have we discussed royalties yet? flechette are not legal in lots of states. A 12 gauge slug would break ribs. 410/3" slug close range my defeat some level 1 stuff. I would not like to be test person.

Neither is shooting someone with a shotgun last I heard. I only provided the flechette info for the purposes of his novel. That's my disclaimer and I'm sticking to it. :challenge:

TScottW99

Full Access Member
I think body armor would stop a shotgun slug. However the impact and crater could possibly kill someone just the same even though the slug never penetrated the body. The setback of the vest would cause some damage for sure.

kwo51

Full Access Member
Neither is shooting someone with a shotgun last I heard. That all depends on where they are standing.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts