Uniform/Decorations after discharge?

Max

Full Access Member
Hello everyone

First of all, this is probably the wrong place.
If it is, please tell me where to put this post.

In my current project one character used to be Major General of the US Airforce, but was honourably discharged a few years before the events of the novel.
Now, there is a funeral in the book, which he attends.
Would he wear standard suit and tie, like everyone else, or would he wear his Service Dress or Mess Dress, despite no longer being an active service member?
And if he would, would he wear it with the decorations, or the "plain" uniform?

Sounds a little confuse, sorry about that.

Thanks in advance,

Max

Bluez

Full Access Member
For significant events like that he is absolutely permitted, (in some situations like the funeral of a veteran even, expected) to wear his Uniform.
The Uniform would have to be the Class A (more formal that shows all decorations and affiliations) version though.

( Das heisst die parade uniform with , Auszeihnungen, Nahkampfspange , Demjansk Schild usw usf, nicht der Kampfanzug)

Last edited:

Bluez

Full Access Member
Rethought it my explantion a bit:

if the guy who died is not a veteran or in any way service or patriotism connected ( like a civilian contractor who died overseas ) then he would likely not wear it if it was only a normal private/civilian funeral.

Max

Full Access Member
@Palmerwmd:
The person who died is the former soldiers son, and wasn't in any military.
And yes, it's a civilian funeral

Arckadian

In that case I would ask how the son died and if he was risking his own life in an attempt to help others or not. The situation would really mean a lot in that instance and how close the family was. As a father, and former military, I would probably not wear my class A's for an ordinary funeral. However having said that, if my child died honorably, then yes I might feel moved to pull it out of mothballs and have it at the funeral. Just my thoughts.

Max

Full Access Member
The son died "unspectacular" (sounds wrong) of cancer, and the father had been honorably discharged just a few years prior.
I had read that the class A's are worn were civilians wear "black tie"-clothing, so I thought he may wear the basic bit of the uniform the blue suit.
Because I've seen former german soldiers wear their dress uniforms after being discharged, so I jumped to the conclusion that american soldiers may do it too.
Despite being a veteran at that point, and no longer in active service.

Max

Bluez

Full Access Member
Like Arckadian said, its situationally driven.

So in the case you describe he would just wear a suit

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts