What Legislation will Work?

Bullnettles

Full Access Member
I guess i have 2 questions:

1. what legally constitutes negligence?

2. After someone has entered your home without permission, stolen property. Used said property in the commission of a crime... At what point do you hold that person criminally liable for there actions?

I should be able to leave my gun sitting on the coffee table in my living room in an empty house with the doors wide open

The answer question 1, in my eyes, the second someone enters my home without permission, any negligence on my part is vacated, neither I or the gun was committing a crime.

The answer to #2, the criminal is responsible for every action, every thought every second of every day (just like me). When a criminal breaks the law, they are instantly responsible for that action. It's not my fault for leaving my door open, or leaving the keys in my car. It's not a womans fault for being raped because of they way she dressed.

This country needs to get serious and stop using excuses as to why people commit crimes and just hold the criminal responsible

Period!

I was waiting for someone to make a post like this. Bravo.

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
This country needs to get serious and stop using excuses as to why people commit crimes and just hold the criminal responsible

Period!

That's a fact. And the part that get's me the most, the fuggin criminal is the one who get's all the rights. The victims don't get any rights.

armoredman

Full Access Member
I disagree whole heartedly and vehemently with any attempt to bar private sales. As I have said before, and will say forever, it is NOBODY'S business how I dispose of or acquire my lawfully held private property provided I follow the laws of my state and nation. If I disobey these laws, then, as we say in prison, "that's on me." This is the way my state does it, and it has worked for over 100 years.
I would agree with an OPTION to have an FFL run a background check YOU want done before you sell your privately held firearm, for a fee, of course, but don't force me to do the same - it's none of their business.

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
Have you ever heard anyone say, or said it yourself? "OMG, who would have known? I would have never guessed that, that guy was..."

I've worked with 2 guys. Fantastic guys. Hard workers, great personality, nice guys, would give the shirt of their back to help anyone. One did mention he'd done time when he was younger never said why. OSBI check, he was an armed bank robber. Our news media was talking about this new system where we could go online and check for sex offenders in our area. The 2nd guy was a 1st degree child molester. I WOULD HAVE sold either one of them a firearm, absolutely no questions asked. I aslo know a guy who was in the Vietnam war. Seemed normal as could be. I would have sold him a gun too. Everyone freaked out one day, and told me to go get "C" to the warehouse ASAP, a "****" (pardon the racial tone, it's what was said) just came in the store. I didn't understand. I was later told, due to the war, this guy is spun and off his rocker and we he's see Vietnamese people the dude freaks the hell out and gets violant an wants to kill them, that he still sees a Shrink over it. I had no clue. Sad too, great guy. Months later we got to talking about guns. He admitted, I'd love to have a gun, but if I had one, I'd be killing people and he wasn't joking. I don't do so well identifying the orientals, but this guy can sure tell the difference.

That's why I believe bg checks even for private sales SHOULD be done. But, I also feel blood relatives should be exempted so long as they are of sound mind and not a criminal, that you are willing to say AT THE TIME of transfer, they are not a threat, been in no trouble, not abusinve, no illegal drug abuse (and I do mean abuse, not use) that could relate to drug related crimes etc. I'd say if they're blood related, you do KNOW this person. And I think the bg and transfer should be FREE. We pay enough damn taxes to put Sheriff deputies on the job, and they are to Protect and Serve, so Protect and Server and let me know that this firearm is going to a good, safe home.

I do wish it wasn't that way. I don't like the idea because as of right now, if the gubment came to take my guns and I hid them out, I could easily say, I sold them to an old neighbor that I've lost touch with, or traded them for a pick up or whatever. If required, they'll know where that firearm went.

ViperJeff

Administrator
Here it's the Dept of Public Safety (BCI) that does the checks, not the Sheriff or local PD.

Everything you just went over has merit and I won't argue that view. I would like to add to it that every one of those situations are probably true for people who don't have a record, who don't seek help and that includes family. I don't think any check would guarantee safety for the public a large and the people that fear guns know that.

The solution to that truth (by people who fear) is to pass laws, lots of laws that also have no change to guarantee safety to the public at large, however it does make them feel better about their fears.

I would also like to add, there are those that would take any laws based on public sales and use them as a jack hammer against the honest citizen. I will just be another tool in the handbag of a lawyer to place blame for a criminal act on someone other than the person who committed the crime. We had the exact same thing happen here with the Trolley Square Murders. There were those that took apart every facet of the days leading up to the killings and I swore, they blamed everyone except the guy who walked into Trolley Square and killed those fine people. By the time they were done and the way it was reported, even the killer was a victim.

Kirsten Hinckley, 15 and her Mother we Shot, Wife and daughter of a good friend of mine. Kristen died and her mother survived

Weapons used.. Mossberg Maverick 88 Field and S&W M36 .38-caliber revolver

Trolley Square shooting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and the worst part...

Utah is a state where people believe in and exercise the Second Amendment. Utah is a state where it’s not uncommon for several people in any group to be legally armed.

So why was that off-duty cop alone in fighting fire with fire? Why was he the only one who could engage the murderer with a weapon?

It’s because he was breaking mall rules.

See, at that mall, when you walk in any one of the entrances, you pass a sign that says: No Weapons. At that mall they have a policy against guns – even guns carried by legal permit holders. You’re welcome, but your firearm isn’t.

And in Utah people tend to obey the rules.

Every little peace they take away, you never get back

My compromise to all this....... Bigger prisons, no solitary confinement, 100% general population. No good behavior on violent crimes, if your sentenced to 25 years, you are there for 25 years

:batman2: or we can just call... The Bat Man

kwo51

Full Access Member
Negligence is like leaving the keys in the car . Leaving gun in your purse and going to another room,hanging it on the door stop in the bathroom and forgetting it. If a child has access to a loaded gun in your house you are negligent. Hide them carry them lock them up.Went to gun show today all kinds of private sales no back ground check. Responsible gun owners plenty of gouging.

Members online

No members online now.