Whats everyone using to clean their barrels?

Mike Hammer

I have been using Shooters Choice and MP Pro. I like the Pro cause of no smell at all. I use that more then the shooters.

Concealed 27

Full Access Member

I have been using Shooters Choice and MP Pro. I like the Pro cause of no smell at all. I use that more then the shooters.

Boresnake,the only way to go. its like flossing your teeth except upull straight
thru, back and forth. Oil is in the fabric when dirty simpily wash in dishwasher and let dry ......no chemicals in it at all heres the link for ya...G19

http://www.eabco.com/BorSnake.html

takes obout 2/3 pull thrus and there will be no fouling at all.

Bootstrap

Full Access Member
Boresnake,the only way to go. its like flossing your teeth except upull straight
thru, back and forth. Oil is in the fabric when dirty simpily wash in dishwasher and let dry ......no chemicals in it at all heres the link for ya...G19

http://www.eabco.com/BorSnake.html

takes obout 2/3 pull thrus and there will be no fouling at all.

I use these on my pistols and shotguns

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD

armoredman

Full Access Member
Weapon Shield for light cleaning, but I've shot lead or a lot of rounds, it's a quick dose of Hoppes Number 9, followed by Weapon Shield. Bore snake on 22lr, .5.56mm and 7.62x39mm if shooting wasn't too extensive, but every once in a while they need a deep cleaning with patch, brush and rod.

BOJANGLES

Full Access Member
Hopps in the morning the evening and supper time.

yeah me too.... I like Hoppe's Elite or #9 as far as oils, cleaners, bore gel, etc

That, the ol trusty gun rag, a bore-snake, a brush, q-tips, some patches and I like to get em squeaky clean.

A favorite trick I've found is using a chopstick with a cotton patch and Hoppe's cleaner on it to be very effective in tight nooks and crannies. Chopsticks are sturdy.

Txhillbilly

Full Access Member
I'll have to disagree with you guy's using a Boresnake for cleaning a barrel. Boresnake's work great as a "At the range/hunting camp" type bore cleaner. But all your doing is pulling a dirty rag through your bore after the first pass.
The Otis cleaning system is 100% better than the Boresnake set-up.

I'm ole school and use many different brands of solvents,copper removers with patches,jags,and brushes on any type of weapon where I can clean from the breech end.
Guns like Lever actions or Semi-auto's/Pumps that can't be cleaned conventionally with a rod from the breech end are cleaned with an Otis cleaning system,not a Boresnake.

I have come to really like the Gunslick foam bore cleaner on my rifle's.This stuff works great,spray it in the bore,let it soak about 30 minutes,and patch clean. If the bore is still dirty after that,I'll use a brush soaked in solvent,let it set 10-15 minutes and patch it clean.

Mike Hammer

I rigged this rod up to an old drill running very slow. For me really takes the work out of scrubbing. That rod is soft aluminum and the drill is running so slow you could never scratch the barrel up even if you are sloppy with your cleaning technique. You can change brush heads depending on what you are cleaning, just screw it off..

I think I got the rods from Brownell's.

Drill Brush.jpg

Last edited:

BOJANGLES

Full Access Member
I'll have to disagree with you guy's using a Boresnake for cleaning a barrel. Boresnake's work great as a "At the range/hunting camp" type bore cleaner. But all your doing is pulling a dirty rag through your bore after the first pass.
The Otis cleaning system is 100% better than the Boresnake set-up.

I'm ole school and use many different brands of solvents,copper removers with patches,jags,and brushes on any type of weapon where I can clean from the breech end.
Guns like Lever actions or Semi-auto's/Pumps that can't be cleaned conventionally with a rod from the breech end are cleaned with an Otis cleaning system,not a Boresnake.

I have come to really like the Gunslick foam bore cleaner on my rifle's.This stuff works great,spray it in the bore,let it soak about 30 minutes,and patch clean. If the bore is still dirty after that,I'll use a brush soaked in solvent,let it set 10-15 minutes and patch it clean.

I do have to concede that a boresnake is somewhat a quick fix and not necessarily the MOST effective way to clean a gun. I still run patches etc also often times after the snake when cleaning at home. But I do think a boresnake is a really great tool for what it is.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts