Anyone Use Tritium Sights?

h2oman

A serious problem with tritium sights is that in the dark you can have the front sight outside of the two rear dots. It looks like you are lined up but you may be way off. The remedy is to put a different color sight on the front. Say orange or green. Then when the sights are lined up the colored one is in the middle and you are on target.

mgentry

Full Access Member
I have Tritium Sights on every handgun I have and on some of my rifles. I just like the sight picture - even in the daytime. And they do work well in the dark, but it takes alittle more time to line them up unless you practice with them in the dark.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
I've already installed a set on my XD9. It wasn't too difficult at all. Just took a little prep and patience. I installed wood blocks on my vice so that I wouldn't chew up the slide. I then removed the slide form the gun and dropped the barrel and spring out of it. Locked it in the vice and took a punch and knocked out the front sight. It was a steel punch but I wrapped the end once in thick duct tape so that it would not touch or gouge the slide. XD's are know for how tight their sights are installed. It took a couple whacks but I got it out. The rear sight came out easier. Maybe I had just gotten up some more confidence. Installed the Tritium sights just like the same way the old ones came out. Youtube is your friend. If you want to find out how to do something, there's usually a tutorial on Youtube to follow.

Silver-Bolt

Full Access Member
A serious problem with tritium sights is that in the dark you can have the front sight outside of the two rear dots. It looks like you are lined up but you may be way off. The remedy is to put a different color sight on the front. Say orange or green. Then when the sights are lined up the colored one is in the middle and you are on target.

Not really. If you did that the sight picture is very obvious it's wrong. Not to mention the natural point of the gun would be completely off. I shoot a lot of low light and no light practice. It would be very tough to have your sights misaligned that bad.

Tizzle

I've got TruGlo TFOs on my XD45 Tactical duty gun. I'd like to put some on my XD9 Subcompact as well.

I had AJAMES over at XDTALK forums do the install.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
I've got TruGlo TFOs on my XD45 Tactical duty gun. I'd like to put some on my XD9 Subcompact as well.

I had AJAMES over at XDTALK forums do the install.

Best price I've found so far. This is the Tritium not the TFO's.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PGOTTM/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00[/ame]

Last edited:

kwo51

Full Access Member
Meprolight Tritiums are on my glock and Kimber 5 years and no change . Work well in the day time also.

TScottW99

Full Access Member
I have Trijicon on my Glock 22. Plan on putting a pair of Heinie Straight 8's on my XD soon.

I really like the night sights for a defensive pistol. Need to get a pair for my Ruger LC9 also.

armoredman

Full Access Member
Bad picture, haven't tried to re-do it yet, focusing issues. :) I love the TruDot night sights I put on my CZ SP-01 Phantom.

Advantages.jpg

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Depends on the weapon. XD's are known for having very tight sights. I still was able to do mine with just a vice, a steel punch and a hammer. Locked the slide in the vice with two wood blocks to keep from damaging the slide. Wrapped the end of the punch in duct tape so that it didn't actually come in contact with the slide. Dove both the front and rear sights out and installed the new sights in reverse order.

Members online

No members online now.