Bought a new Smith and Wesson M&P40 Shield

USMC1188

I have been looking around for a good concealed carry semi auto for me. I am very partial to the .40 S&W. After doing some research I decided on the M&P40 Shield. I already have a full size M&P40 and absolutely love it, and the Shield is literally a miniature single stack version of its big brother, so I cannot wait to get it to the range.

I already color filled all of the lettering in the slide. I am looking at sights, a trigger job, and either stippled grips or some other type of aftermarket grips.

TScottW99

Full Access Member
Congrats! They seem to be a great carry gun. I have played with the 9mm version but not the 40S&W.

Have you decided on a holster?

USMC1188

Thanks! That's what I have heard, and if it's anything like my full size, it's going to be great.

Not yet... But I have been looking into the Ryman Holsters. Any ideas?

I want an IWB at my 4o'clock, so it will end up really being a left handed holster.

TScottW99

Full Access Member
My favorite IWB for me is a Compt-Tac model that is no longer made. If you want to try a "hybrid" the Crossbreed line is very good. They offer a money back period which NO holster makers offer, of very few at least.

kwo51

Full Access Member
Aliengear Holster are the same as crossbreed but have changeable holders and only half as much. Coessbreed is an excellent product and I have one but my next will be the one I can change carriers for.

USMC1188

Aliengear Holster are the same as crossbreed but have changeable holders and only half as much. Crossbreed is an excellent product and I have one but my next will be the one I can change carriers for.

I will be carrying in the 4o'clock position... so technically I would need a left handed holster correct? So wouldn't the angle of the gun then be weird since these aren't adjustable? I may be crazy though...

USMC1188

Here is a High Noon Holster chart that will explain your o'clock positions. If you are right handed the 4 o'clock is right behind your right hip.

Where On Your Body Do You Want To Carry

Yep, that is exactly what I will be doing. The issue is, just like in those pictures, the magazine well would be facing my left side if it is in the 4 o'clock position.. If I am carrying there, it feels more comfortable and natural to get the pistol from the holster with my right hand if the magazine well is facing my right hand, just like a left handed holster would be. I like the 15 degree angle a lot of them do as well, but they are made for the 3 degree (right handed) or 9 degree (left handed) positions, so in theory, they would be angled the wrong direction once I put a left handed holster on my 4 o'clock, meaning it would be angled 30 degrees off.

kwo51

Full Access Member
Carry what you want wear you want just avoid small of the back if you can. Many carry there and some have have been paralyzed from falling on them. 3 and 4 o'clock I would still call on the hip.Both of these holsters allow for lots of adjustment.Seems gun would be covering somebody when drawn from left handed rig being carried here.JMO

oppo

Full Access Member
Personally, for 4:00, I would use a right handed holster.

I used to carry about 5:00 because I thought I needed to in order to conceal a full size. I quickly changed to 3:00 and it has worked out MUCH better. I also can't the pistol forward. It effectively makes the pistol a bit shorter but more importantly, it allows me to draw while seated. I consider that a big plus. The shield would be really easy to conceal at 3:00.

Bigdaddy

Full Access Member
So how do you like your shield now I was looking at one on base they are having a sales on them.

Bigdaddy

Full Access Member
Out on base I think that they are selling them for about $349 but I'm not sure and with the $30 dollars off I think that this could be a sell.

They are selling g3 g20sf for $520 and a g4 g26 for $515 so but the sales start Oct. 3 to Oct. 9 so I have a little time to think about which one.

Bigdaddy

Full Access Member
Yeah I agree that why come I don't want to pass the deal up, I have a g27, g19, g30s, g29 and a XDm .45 4.5 so try to decide which one is killing me. For the g27 I have a 9mm and .357 sig lone wolf barrel for it so I'm good their.

I guess that about time for the sale to start I have to make up my mind.

kwo51

Full Access Member
Both of the above mentioned holster makers will fix you up if you contact them. Does the M&P have a magazine safety. Will it fire with mag removed?

Members online

No members online now.