re boring a rifle barrel...

STF

Full Access Member
I'm not sure if that's the correct terminology but I want to have a Rossi .223 barrel bored out to 300 Blackout.... Is this possible? I would think that the chamber would work already given it's the same size cartridge as the 223 round.

I want a "handy rifle" type gun but I like the fact that Rossi has interchangeable barrels.

Discuss.

BrothersInArms

Supporting Vendor
I'm not sure if that's the correct terminology but I want to have a Rossi .223 barrel bored out to 300 Blackout.... Is this possible? I would think that the chamber would work already given it's the same size cartridge as the 223 round.

I want a "handy rifle" type gun but I like the fact that Rossi has interchangeable barrels.

Discuss.

It would have to be professionally bored, rifled, fitted to the receiver, and then chambered = very expensive. Best bet would be to start with a 30 cal rifled blank and macine/weld where needed to fit the handy rifle receiver.

oppo

Full Access Member
Are are you shooting strictly factory ammo? If you are willing to reload, you could go with the 7.62 x 40 or even a full length 30 caliber wildcat like the 30 apache. If you went the full length route, you might not have to rechamber. Just a thought.

oppo

Full Access Member
If you are gonna shoot factory ammo, it would be a lot easier and probably cheaper just to get a 30-30 unless you want factory subs.

oppo

Full Access Member
You're trying to do it backwards. It's much more common to rechamber a factory barrel to a caliber the same diameter as the donor barrel than to use a chamber and re-bore and rifle an existing barrel.

The problem here is that the 300 has a smaller/shorter chamber than any of the available 30 caliber cartridges.

...except for possibly the 30 carbine?

cce1302

Full Access Member
The problem here is that the 300 has a smaller/shorter chamber than any of the available 30 caliber cartridges.

...except for possibly the 30 carbine?

I'm not really familiar with the HR design...never been interested in it, but I know it's possible to cut a lot of barrels and set them back, then re-chamber. Is that not possible with the handirifle?

It lists for only $360 for a complete rifle. Might just go at it that way and come out ahead.

I'm rather surprised that for such an affordable rifle there are not dozens of companies turning out barrels in all calibers like there are for the TC encore and contender.

STF

Full Access Member
Well I figured it probably wouldn't be worth the money but I wanted to start a discussion on it anyways. I might end up with the Rossi in 20 gauge and 223 or some other rifle cartridge anyways for my daughter to shoot. I just thought it would be nice to have a barrel for it for the 300BLK

I haven't gotten into reloading yet but when I do I'll start with the 300BLK round

Members online

No members online now.