Ruger 10/22 Thread

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
That is about like the way I am with the narcotics they have me on from my double spinal fusion I'm recovering from. LOL it's like i have dementia! Thank god for wives! Otherwise I would be off somewhere trying to go hunting and one shot from my .270 would blow out my bone graphs and probably paralyze me. My wife took away the keys to my gun cabinet until I am completely off the narcotics but at least I have my Kimber pepper spray pistol, KA-BAR, and my collapsible tactical Caine!!! Lol don't mess with me in my power chair at night!!!

Wow there are some nice 10/22s here!

Here's my latest build:

P1020157.jpg

-Ruger 10/22 Carbine
-Leupold VX3 w/ Boone & Crockett reticle
-Keystone Arms blued and fluted .920 18" bull barrel
-Revolution Stocks "Yukon" stock in gloss bone gray for the 920 barrel
--the barrel is free floating in this stock
-Kidd Cocking Assembly in black
-Kidd "trigger job" kit in black
-Kidd bolt buffer
-Kidd interchangeable magazine release in black
-Volquartsen V Block Barrel Retainer
-Volquartsen Exact Edge extractor
-Volquartsen auto bolt release
-Talley 2 piece scope mounts, matte black, medium

If I do my part, it will shoot through the same nickel sized hole at 50yards.
Oh damn, Nice !!! Gots a few bucks tied up in that one. Do you shoot competetion with it?

BigJ

Oh damn, Nice !!! Gots a few bucks tied up in that one. Do you shoot competetion with it?
Thanks!! Nope this was strictly a paper killer. I wanted to see how accurate I could make a 10/22 by (1) not buying it completed already and (2) only using off the shelf parts. I've been pretty happy with the results :)

Thanks again!

Buddychrist

Full Access Member
I'm truly in awe of how positive you are about it. If we ever meet in person I wanna buy you a drink.

Thank you man that means allot! Hey I can't drink for the next 7 months so anytime after that and I get to where i can travel again I'd be honored to have a beer with you!

I like a nice Heineken, Corona with a real lime not that premixed crap, Very Occasionally a single shot of makers mark or Yager with some honey on ice, but if you get me behind a blender with chocolate ice cream, Milk, and Baileys Irish Cream I make the best alcoholic milkshakes! (It's nothing I can teach its just I learned the amounts from time after time and they are very addictive and I have had friends beg for the recipe but I just don't know it I just guesstimate!) But I always keep it to one drink, relaxing and good but no getting drunk outta me man!

Shoot me a PM man so we don't mess up this great learning thread!!!

So what do you guys think of the Ruger Made 25Rd magazines???

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
I wasn't aware Ruger made 25rd Mags. I use Butler Creek Hot and Steel Lips. Seems about 1 in 6 or 7 of the Hot Lips fail. Usually within the first 2 times loading it, so I take it back as defective and exchange it. I would be interested in trying a Ruger Brand 25rd'er.

Arkansasguns

Full Access Member
LOVE the Ruger 25 round mag. Not one hiccup with the 2 I have and about 1000 rounds through them. The butler creek I had previously failed slowly over time. These 2 haven't skipped a beat and are able to be taken apart for cleaning.

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
As much as I like and as many 10/22's I have and have had, I feel embarrassed I wasn't aware that there is such thing as a Ruger OE 25 round mag. I always always always prefer and go for OE parts when possible, especially mags. I"ll be sure be looking for a few of those before any kind of ban on Hi Cap mags.

Buddychrist

Full Access Member
Here's what you need

tank%20chair.jpg

Not to ruin a thread but this is why tank track Powerchairs are made, took me 10 minutes to get out of that just so I could get to the back and make sure no one is hunting my land on private property.

yjarazag.jpg

Not going back there again, this is a borrowed chair and I'm not gonna tear it up.

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
I don't know your situation, so I can't speak for you. After my first back surgery I ended up getting an ATV for doing such things. Had to get Dr' permission too, and he gladly granted it saying the suspension on the bike would help control the shock to my spine, but I had better be using it as a tool and a way of getting around and not recreation, so no jumping cars or creeks on the ATV. So I putted around in 1st 2nd and 3rd gear for about 6 months, then was all out giving it hell and jumping creeks and ditches. I do have to admit, the suspension on the ATV does help tremendously. Only a person with severe back pain would understand, but I hardly feel the bumps when even putting around on rough grassy, muddy, chopped up terain. It can get rough in some spots but just slow down a bit and it's tolerable.

Buddychrist

Full Access Member
I've got a Polaris Trailboss 325 but I tried to get onto it and I can't get my leg up high enough to get on the darned thing. This back brace is frigging restrictive.

I might mod that one, one day with an extra step!

I still need to put an air ride seat on my dodge, It bounces all over the place (o'l 93 D250 12 valve cummins) and my wife's 07 highlander I tried riding in it and since the surgery I've gained like 1.5" in height and since I have to sit up straight my head is pressing on the roof lol. The Harley... Well lets just not even talk about that beauty that I will be passing down to my son in about 15 years.

Probably just an extra step for the ATV, I think I might have something that will work.

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
I've got a Polaris Trailboss 325 but I tried to get onto it and I can't get my leg up high enough to get on the darned thing. This back brace is frigging restrictive.

I might mod that one, one day with an extra step!

I still need to put an air ride seat on my dodge, It bounces all over the place (o'l 93 D250 12 valve cummins) and my wife's 07 highlander I tried riding in it and since the surgery I've gained like 1.5" in height and since I have to sit up straight my head is pressing on the roof lol. The Harley... Well lets just not even talk about that beauty that I will be passing down to my son in about 15 years.

Probably just an extra step for the ATV, I think I might have something that will work.

That sucks man. Sorry to hear it. And you're only 22? Damn !!! And I thought I was bad off having my first surgery at 30. Have had 2, and need 3 more at 3 levels and I think I mentioned it here already, they want to do a full Harrington rod from my ass crack to my brain stem.
Is your's something that you'll be more mobile after healing and rehab, or is this pretty much all you'll get for range of motion after the fusions?

Buddychrist

Full Access Member
That sucks man. Sorry to hear it. And you're only 22? Damn !!! And I thought I was bad off having my first surgery at 30. Have had 2, and need 3 more at 3 levels and I think I mentioned it here already, they want to do a full Harrington rod from my ass crack to my brain stem.
Is your's something that you'll be more mobile after healing and rehab, or is this pretty much all you'll get for range of motion after the fusions?

Thank you man it's all good I have come to terms with what I am going to be for the rest of my life and I am alright with it and keeping my head held high for the most part.

I'm so sorry to hear that man I had no idea you had such severe spinal issues also, have you seen the Pro-Disc? That might save you from the Harrington! I really do feel your pain man I really do.

The motion in my legs is pretty much the best it's going to get because its really cut out my lifting of my legs on the L4-L5 L5-S1 my pelvic cradle is never going to be half as flexible as it used to be but I will find a way one day to make it back to the woods.

I think we need a spinal injury thread that's password protected where we can share photos and really talk personal about what's going on because I don't think allot of people except very few like us understand how severe the pain is and I would have no problems sharing recovery photos if they are locked down to just us in the fusion crew! That way if there are members who share the same problem we can give them advice and tell them the best of the best on what to do and where to go.

Sorry this is pulling away from 10/22's

I really wish I could take out my little plinker, when I get into next month I'm gonna put the synthetic stock back on and take it out. That Old factory wood stock I bought is Extremely heavy!

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
Yeah, we need to get a mod to transfer the back injury convo posts to a separate thread in the Lounge where Off-Topic goes. I don't have powers here or it would have been done already.

Same here, my surgeries so far were working on the L4-5 and L5-S1 too. They need worked on again, the arthritis is set in bad there now, the scare tissue needs removed now too. Not sure which #'s they are, but there is 3 that need worked on at the Thorasic level aka middle of the back, and at least 2 at the cervical level aka neck where they'll go thru my throat or the front of my neck and get those removed and noway out of a fusion at the cervical level since the ones above and below the 2 that must come out are marginal so fusion has to be done to hopefully save those 2 instead of making 4 bad. And 3 at the Thorasic level, you're never given a choice on a fusion at 3 in a row, 2 they don't like to and don't recommend it wo a fusion and 1 you can get by without a fusion, but all my trash disks are in multiples and degeneration is progressing faster than expected from when I was 30, and now MRI's at age 39, and 43yo show the progression from age 30 to 39 to 43, and now I'm 46,.

For now, I just eat pills like candy waiting for finances to get right, or get on disability so I can have the surgeries and hope be better. It really sucks, cuz without a college education, no wuss jobs to be had, and now with drug screening, the minute employers see the narcotics and ask questions, that's that. I get the, "We're so sorry but...." So I drive a tow truck. Go figure. For a mom and pop place that don't give a rats ass so long as I don't wreck anything and I don't. Been taking the drugs so long now, they don't affect me like they would a normal person. The things I'm thankful for, with meds, I can put on a pretty good fake and noone would know how bad I'm jacked up. Yeah, it hurts like hell to do my job, climbing in and out of a truck, getting down on hands and knees to hook chains, and especially in cold and/or wet weather. But I use a different technique. I don't bend over, I got down on a knee instead, or lay flat on my back and reach under the car. I do just about everything I want, just not for very long, and being very cautious. I also have another part time job making peanuts, but I tolerate and do it so I can have affordable group medical benefits. By the time the insurance premium comes out of that check it's $48 for 2 weeks. And I tolerate their shit cuz I have to have the insurance. And if you have a gap in coverage, then there is a 6 month pre existing condition clause, so I'm stuck there hardcore and they know they got me by the balls.

On the other hand, people don't realize the emotional toll it takes. You feel like a worthless fuggin gimp, you hurt all the time, you stay broke cuz what little money you can earn goes to pay insurance premiums that you must have, then copays on visits and medications. My house payments stays 1-2 months behind, haven't had a fuggin Christmas worth a shit in years and that's just the way it is. I've never collected welfare, never drawn a food stamp and been fighting this shit for over 16 years. It pretty much had a big hand in ending my marriage too 8 years ago. I'd be lying if there aren't times that come when weird thoughts go my thru my head. But you damn sure don't tell your Dr's or family that because then they want to take your guns away and send the damn cops over to take your guns. Yes, it happened before and I had to have a fuggin physch evaluation to get them back and that was over nothing more than a comment I made out of being pist off and didn't actually mean. So along with all the other issues, you have people controlling you telling you what you can have and can't have. One thing for certain though, just to prove all those fuggers wrong, anything like that happens, I won't be using no damn firearm. Luckily those thoughts don't happen often. And I stay positive about it because I know there are many more people out there that have it much worse than I do. Many are fighting cancer, and lose everything they own and their dignity, just to keep their life, and can't do a damn thing about it, and nothing for recreation. There are people out there missing limbs etc etc. Soldiers coming home blown to pieces, blind, deaf and crippled for life with very little help from the gubment and much younger than I am. On and on. So I don't have it as bad as many people and that's what keeps me going. I don't date or look for a wife anymore because I don't want my problems becoming someone elses problems. I've got 2 dogs that are my bestest buddies, and a ton of friends that live in my computer, that I visit with daily, :rofl: so that's life. It goes on. I just wish to hell I had the funds to do more with my guns and trucks.

Buddychrist

Full Access Member
Same boat my friend same boat.

If you want to check something out look at Vocational Rehab, they will cover your CO pay for your surgeries, pills, and whatnot to get you to working order and back into a better career

It's a pain to get but if you do get it, every little thing helps man

Buddychrist

Full Access Member
Any new things to talk about a 10/22?

I'm gonna be working on my gunstock tomorrow and possibly polishing the barrel band if I can get the energy to do it. I will definitely post pictures if y'all are interested!

I've still got a spare blued barrel and band I have no idea what I am going to do with, possibly removing the sight and doing something wild with it, I've never ported anything but I have the drill press and the skill to do it I just need to read up on how it's done, probably a precision Jig and allot of time.

Also has anyone removed the Metal Buttstock Plate and polished it? Also what's behind the darned thing? Has anyone drilled it out to put in like extra ammo or a small survival kit? Or maybe lead weights for competition shooting?

I was thinking about making the Buttstock plate match the stainless of my receiver and barrel. I really think that would make it stand out and accent the gun quite nicely!

ninja man

Full Access Member
i just picked up a 10/22...... well not yet.... ca law states that i have to wait 10 days. so on the 12th i get to go pick it up. also got my oldest daughter a cz455 .22 for christmas

ninja man

Full Access Member
thanks a lot! i am going to order a few buckets now. the markup cant be that much can it? how can one shop sell for that price while the others are 5 times the price.... hell im all over it

Members online

No members online now.