Ruger 10/22 Thread

Buddychrist

Full Access Member
Thanks Buddy. That would be why they're on back order. I friggin fell asleep and missed the one on ebay I was watching. It closed for $5.50 and $5 shipping.

Just me being honest but allot of us shave the band to where it floats the barrel and the band is just visual and then glass bead the receiver after shaving the stock and band to have a fully floated barrel. I haven't done mine yet but it's on my to do list.

y4u7udab.jpg
ryrasede.jpg
e4ezarur.jpg

Edit: Just shaving the band or removing it completely can give you 3/4" better groups at 50 Yards

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
I agree with you on that, and if I didn't have a specific purpose in mind I'd consider something else.

I got this
attachment.php

I got this
attachment.php

And I got this
attachment.php

And I have silver see thru rings, another black sling and..... Maybe you know where I'm going now. I've been going to do this for sometime. The 10/22 to look like the 300 Win Mag was to be for my son when he was about 14. He's 16 now, so it probably wouldn't have the "cool" factor now anyway. One of the 10/22 Skeleton Paddle 10/22 stocks sold on ebay today for over $100. And that was stock only. I could do some cool stuff to one of my 10/22 with $100. So, I may punt the idea anyway, I just always thought it would neat to have almost matching guns.

Attachments

• 300winmag 004.jpg
    300winmag 004.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 75
  • Rug1022 014.jpg
    Rug1022 014.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 75
  • Rug1022 002a.jpg
    Rug1022 002a.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 76

achirdo

Just me being honest but allot of us shave the band to where it floats the barrel and the band is just visual and then glass bead the receiver after shaving the stock and band to have a fully floated barrel. I haven't done mine yet but it's on my to do list.

y4u7udab.jpg
ryrasede.jpg
e4ezarur.jpg

Edit: Just shaving the band or removing it completely can give you 3/4" better groups at 50 Yards

I still don't understand how free floating a barell some how makes it more accurate ...

cce1302

Full Access Member
I still don't understand how free floating a barell some how makes it more accurate ...

Here's a simple explanation from wikipedia:

A free-floating barrel is a specific design technology used in highly accurate rifles, particularly match grade rifles, to increase the accuracy of the weapon.

With normal rifles, the barrel rests in contact with the stock. If the stock is manufactured of wood, environmental conditions or operational use may shift alignment of the stock, which may cause the barrel to shift its alignment slightly over time as well, altering the projectile flightpath and impact point. Contact between the barrel and the stock also interferes with the natural frequency of the barrel, which can have a detrimental effect on accuracy in some cases. The interference of the stock with the barrel's forced oscillation as the bullet passes down the bore can cause the barrel to vibrate inconsistently from shot to shot, depending on the external forces acting upon the stock at the time of the shot. Micro-vibrations acting during the bullet's passage result in differences in trajectory as the bullet exits the bore, which changes the point of impact downrange.

A free-floating barrel is one in which the barrel and stock are designed to not touch at any point along the barrel's length. The barrel is attached to its receiver, which is attached to the stock, but the barrel "floats freely" without any contact with other gun parts, other than the rifle's sights. This minimizes the variance in possible mechanical pressure distortions of the barrel alignment, and allows vibration to occur at the natural frequency.

Alternatives include using a stock manufactured from composite materials which do not deform as much under temperature changes or humidity changes, or with a wood stock using a fiberglass contact area (so-called glass bedding). Stocks which contact the barrel are still popular for many utility weapons, though the most accurate have largely moved to free-floating barrels.

achirdo

Here's a simple explanation from wikipedia:

A free-floating barrel is a specific design technology used in highly accurate rifles, particularly match grade rifles, to increase the accuracy of the weapon.

With normal rifles, the barrel rests in contact with the stock. If the stock is manufactured of wood, environmental conditions or operational use may shift alignment of the stock, which may cause the barrel to shift its alignment slightly over time as well, altering the projectile flightpath and impact point. Contact between the barrel and the stock also interferes with the natural frequency of the barrel, which can have a detrimental effect on accuracy in some cases. The interference of the stock with the barrel's forced oscillation as the bullet passes down the bore can cause the barrel to vibrate inconsistently from shot to shot, depending on the external forces acting upon the stock at the time of the shot. Micro-vibrations acting during the bullet's passage result in differences in trajectory as the bullet exits the bore, which changes the point of impact downrange.

A free-floating barrel is one in which the barrel and stock are designed to not touch at any point along the barrel's length. The barrel is attached to its receiver, which is attached to the stock, but the barrel "floats freely" without any contact with other gun parts, other than the rifle's sights. This minimizes the variance in possible mechanical pressure distortions of the barrel alignment, and allows vibration to occur at the natural frequency.

Alternatives include using a stock manufactured from composite materials which do not deform as much under temperature changes or humidity changes, or with a wood stock using a fiberglass contact area (so-called glass bedding). Stocks which contact the barrel are still popular for many utility weapons, though the most accurate have largely moved to free-floating barrels.

Interesting. Thanks for the read! Guess I was just to lazy to go to Google. Lol

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
Tons of good info in here. A plinker is a must and probably next on my list

A plinker is always a must. I've always told friends who were interested in getting guns to start with a 10/22 and believe if you're going to have guns, EVERYONE should have a 10/22 and a cheap 12 gu Mossberg Shotgun, 500 or Mav 88 type. Even in tough times and ammo getting expensive, you can always afford .22LR or 12gu bird shot to go shooting for a day.

RangerDanger

Full Access Member
A plinker is always a must. I've always told friends who were interested in getting guns to start with a 10/22 and believe if you're going to have guns, EVERYONE should have a 10/22 and a cheap 12 gu Mossberg Shotgun, 500 or Mav 88 type. Even in tough times and ammo getting expensive, you can always afford .22LR or 12gu bird shot to go shooting for a day.

Definitely. I've owned .22's in the past but don't have one currently. I usually shoot my buddies more than I shoot any of my guns when we go to the range. A .22 is good/cheap fun. Right now I'm trying to finish my AR build and then it's either a 10/22 or sig 522 for a plinker (most likely end up with both lol)

cce1302

Full Access Member
Plinking is fun. I've done plenty of it myself. But don't forget that actual good training can be accomplished with rimfire guns. Just because the ammo is cheap and the distances are shorter does not mean that you can't work on your shooting fundamentals.

Habits you learn on your rimfire guns(whether good or bad) will translate to your centerfire guns.

:)

Buddychrist

Full Access Member
I will be posting a thread on the DIY/Gun Smithing section in a few weeks on my 10/22 parts I have added and an overall build thread that shows what the gun really needs and what should be left to a professional.

Just figured I would give all of you a heads up and I will post a link as soon as I get enough photos and write ups to make a good thread worthy of subscribing to!

Thanks guys!

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
I will be posting a thread on the DIY/Gun Smithing section in a few weeks on my 10/22 parts I have added and an overall build thread that shows what the gun really needs and what should be left to a professional.

Just figured I would give all of you a heads up and I will post a link as soon as I get enough photos and write ups to make a good thread worthy of subscribing to!

Thanks guys!

:grd: I'll be looking forward to it. I've pretty much just left my 10/22's alone since they're pretty accurate out of the box for what I use them for

Every time I wanted to spend some bucks working one over, I just decided to go buy another OE model. I think I have enough now. Time to start working at least one of them over.

I didn't say I have enough 10/22's did I ??? I didn't think so.

Buddychrist

Full Access Member
:grd: I'll be looking forward to it. I've pretty much just left my 10/22's alone since they're pretty accurate out of the box for what I use them for

Every time I wanted to spend some bucks working one over, I just decided to go buy another OE model. I think I have enough now. Time to start working at least one of them over.

I didn't say I have enough 10/22's did I ??? I didn't think so.

The way I see it there is always room for improvement to an extent. I think the 10/22 right off the bat needs the ABR because it increases the functionality. Then onto the buffer tube, springs, hammer and sear, stock modifications, barrel clamp shaving, stock shaving to float the barrel, extending or bedding the barrel lug, and finally glass bedding the receiver. It will make the 10/22 a tack driver and it won't break the bank.

Mockstar

Full Access Member
Here is my Ruger........

Ruger 10/22 "Class-of-1983"
Tapco Intrafuse
Tru Glow Red/Green Dot
CAA Front Foregrip
UTG 150 Lumen Light with quick detatch
NcStar Muzzle Brake.
Rugger BX-25 mags
Magpul BUIS

DSCN1219Large.jpg

Txhillbilly

Full Access Member
This is my 10/22T that I've modified a bit.
Boyd's Evo stock that I finished
Trigger job 2.5#
Extended mag release

005-1.jpg

It don't shoot too shabby either-10 shots,50 yards

011-1.jpg

I built this one for a friend.
Boyd's Evo stock
Trigger job 3.0#
Whistle Pig Octagon barrel

008-5.jpg

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
A fight.. A fight !!! About time to see a post in the 10/22 thread, even if it is a fight. How does the 10/22 thread go over a week without a post???

Members online

No members online now.