Why and how I changed my AR configuration - PICS

Bluez

Full Access Member
The first 2 pics shows the configuration it had until today:

- A Inforce Weapons mounted Light (WML) on the left front of the rail
- a Angled Fore Grip (AFG) close to the magwell
- A Vertical Fore Grip (VFG) close to the front

This set-up allowed me to easily and ergonomically switch my weapons mounted light (WML) with my thumb, offered me positive control in handling the weapon while wearing Combat gloves.
The disadvantage was that the WML covered up the hole to mount my sling quick release on.

I could still mount a 1 point sling but as some if you may have noticed, I believe one points are the devil and I really wanted to mount a 2 point sling.

So my riddle was this: How to free up my front mounting hole to enable a 2 point sling while still mounting my light , keeping ergonomically positive control of the rifle when dashing AND be able to easily actuate the light from my grip position?

So I took off the VFG moved the AFG forward and mounted the light in the chin position (3rd pic)
I was able to actuate the light from the AFG in my living room and the AFG felt good in my hand, problem solved right?
Not so fast.

I remembered how I had almost all my other rifles AFG'ed and the AFG by itself felt great in the living room but out on the range and in the woods when I threw around my rifle, I always missed the positive control of a VFG.

So as both dont fit on the bottom rail at the same time with the light added to the chin position, I took off the AFG and mounted the Troy VFG instead.

See 4th pic.
Now I had much more positive control when I test-flung the weapon about and was able to switch the light on/off even a little easier with my gloved hand.
But the VFG felt a bit short.
So I extended the Troy VFG with the provided extra part and of course I finally got to add the sling.

See the last pic.

Now "Deathdealer" is fully configured.

Attachments

• 100_1606.jpg
    100_1606.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 27
  • 100_1607.jpg
    100_1607.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 26
  • LWRCM6A2 Ceracote (1).jpg
    LWRCM6A2 Ceracote (1).jpg
    95 KB · Views: 24
  • LWRCM6A2 Ceracote (4).jpg
    LWRCM6A2 Ceracote (4).jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 24
  • LWRCM6A2 Ceracote (5).jpg
    LWRCM6A2 Ceracote (5).jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

Bluez

Full Access Member
BTW in case anyone is wondering, the chamber is empty and the hammer is down, that's why the selector is on "Fire" as this is how I store my weapons with all springs at rest.

STF

Full Access Member
I dumped my AFGs as well. It felt good at the house but wasn't practical for me while shooting.

I went with the short BCM VFG and I like it mostly as a hand stop. I don't have a light yet.

Bluez

Full Access Member
An Update:

Went back tot he side mounted light w/ convienent thumb activation and accepted that I had to mount the front part of my 2 point sling in the hole closer t the upper reciver.
This gives me non ideal balance in my 2 point but its manageable and the chin position for the light was too inconvienent

Members online

No members online now.