Winter Time, SHTF, What do you do?

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Lets say it's dead of winter. You're nice and toasty in your home. The power goes out for some unexplained reason. You think, "It will be back on in a little bit". But it doesn't. The house starts getting cold. What is your backup heat source? How long will it last? Do you have a kerosene heater? Gas logs?

Lets take it a little further. The outage lasts longer than you had anticipated. You run out of kerosene. Your gas logs flicker out. What do you do next? How will you cook? The microwave isn't going to work. Lets hear some of your solutions to this scenario.

kwo51

Full Access Member
100 gallon gas tank and wood stove. Having lived in south Florida and going through many himacanes one gets a little clever. The big problem is fuel . 10000 gallons of water in pool and hand pump for well.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
100 gallon gas tank and wood stove. Having lived in south Florida and going through many himacanes one gets a little clever. The big problem is fuel . 10000 gallons of water in pool and hand pump for well.

The milder climates will have it much easier. Don't have to contend with the severe cold or the cold temps as long as other areas. I'm looking for a wood stove. One we can use to heat and cook on. I'm surrounded by trees. I can use fallen trees or begin cutting as needed. Stock up on firewood during the summer.

kwo51

Full Access Member
All the zombies will be going to firers looking for food or supply s. I live in the country and think a killing zone of 300 yards is pretty good. Big dog and geese for alarms.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
All the zombies will be going to firers looking for food or supply s. I live in the country and think a killing zone of 300 yards is pretty good. Big dog and geese for alarms.

You do have a point about smoke giving off your location. I live in the country too. My line of sight is pretty limited with all the trees around he house. Hopefully the zombies will just stay away. I have some other ideas but they only work on sunny days. Cloudy days and night are still going to be cold.

kwo51

Full Access Member
The geese and other foul are the best watchers. Our Dobie would sit in the shade and wait for the geese to sound off then come and check it out.

STF

Full Access Member
I have a lifetime supply of cheetos and when that runs out I'll eat the skittles in my MOE AR15 pistol grip.

I live in Texas so I won't freeze to death except the one day of the year it actually freezes.

Assault

I have a wood burning stove in my living room. In 08-09 we had a bad ice/snow storm here in Louisiana. My wife used the stove for 8 days to keep the house warm, cook food, and boil water to take bathes. She used my 4wheeler to haul wood from the back of my property to the house. I also have a Colman stove that is a dual fuel that can use Colman fuel or gasoline.

STF

Full Access Member
twinkies make me sick to the stomach. Snowballs on the other hand treat me juuuuust right.

armoredman

Full Access Member
No electricity in the dead of winter? Oh my...guess I'll put a jacket on. AZ winter is what most people call 'fall". ;)

kwo51

Full Access Member
Refrigeration not being a problem frozen bacon sucks. Hypothermia can occur at 40 degrees if you are no prepared.

RangerDanger

Full Access Member
Refrigeration not being a problem frozen bacon sucks. Hypothermia can occur at 40 degrees if you are no prepared.

Hypothermia can occur at warmer conditions than 40 degrees. Clothing and other weather elements such as moisture will play a huge role.

Some clothing that repels moisture would be a good idea if you plan on being outside at all during the winter

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Got my wood stove and have begun construction on where it will sit. It heats up to 2K sqft.. We have an open floorplan so it should do the job nicely. Got a Hell of a deal on it too. It MSRP's for $1200. Seen it listed for $900. Got it on clearance for $460. Now the dang insulated chimney pipe is going to cost as much or more than the stove. But we'll be able to heat the house and help clear out a bunch of wood around the house.

kwo51

Full Access Member
What kind of stove? How about large cross cut saws and good 2 headed ax for when the gas is gone. In the teens here the last couple of days. Even my Harley is severing.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
What kind of stove? How about large cross cut saws and good 2 headed ax for when the gas is gone. In the teens here the last couple of days. Even my Harley is severing.

I've got a bow saw and a wood splitting maul. Hope to use the Stihl chainsaws as long as possible though.

US Stove 2,000 sq. ft. EPA Certified Wood-Burning Stove-2000 at The Home Depot

3ea949d8-1335-4841-8c4d-d9ab2068c11f_1000.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts