Gun Safe Humidity

FloridaGuy

I recently purchase a Champion Gun safe from my LGS. When it was first installed the humidity in the safe was below 50% no the humidity is staying around 66%. I have 2 of the Eva-dry E-500 Renewable Wireless Mini Dehumidifer and a GoldenRod Original Dehumidifier in the safe currently but the humidity still stays @ 59 - 66%. I would like the humidity to be below 50% as recommended by everything I have read.

At this point I am not sure what else I can add to lower the humidity in the safe. So I am turning to everyone here to see what everyone else is doing to lower the humidity in there safes.

FloridaGuy

The safe is located in one of the spare bedrooms that I turned into my gun and reloading room. The humidity in the room outside the safe runs 60% and above.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
I know Florida is humid (use to live there) but the air conditioning usually took care of the excess moisture. You might consider a dehumidifier to see if you can bring down the moisture in that room. If nothing else make sure your guns are well lubricated to keep moisture from starting the rust process. You can get silicone impregnated gun socks to keep them in for added protection.

FloridaGuy

I know Florida is humid (use to live there) but the air conditioning usually took care of the excess moisture. You might consider a dehumidifier to see if you can bring down the moisture in that room. If nothing else make sure your guns are well lubricated to keep moisture from starting the rust process. You can get silicone impregnated gun socks to keep them in for added protection.

Yes, the air conditioning does help with the excess moisture but currently the air conditioning is not running because it has only been in the 40 here. Maybe once the air start running again the moisture level in the house will go back down.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Yes, the air conditioning does help with the excess moisture but currently the air conditioning is not running because it has only been in the 40 here. Maybe once the air start running again the moisture level in the house will go back down.

Then your options are to get a dehumidifier for that room, oils your guns real well or silicone impregnated gun socks. I imagine a window A/C unit for that room would be as effective as a dehumidifier but it would be like a meat locker.

There is a product called DampRid you can get at Home Depot that absorbes humidity for about $10 but not sure how they'd do in a really humid environment like Florida.

DampRid 64 oz. High Capacity Moisture Absorber-FG50T - The Home Depot

kwo51

Full Access Member
Have had safe in florida for 10 years and nothing more than some decedent bags. Oil guns about every 3 months, at least check them.

Members online

No members online now.