Hand/Eye dominance

Bootstrap

Full Access Member
I was wondering if anyone else has the same issue I do. I'm right handed, and left eye dominant. I have always shot with my left eye closed, both long guns and pistols, however I've started to try to shooting with both eyes opened. I can do pretty well still focusing with my right eye and gun in the right hand, however I'm going to try focusing with my left eye tomorrow and gun in the right hand. My real issue is for self defense etc, if i were to quick draw on a target, do I take the time to move my weapon so that my left eye can focus on it?, my natural point of aim is alright by my standards, and I can focus on target with either eye while they're both open, honestly neither of them come that naturally. Insight?

Arckadian

I am right handed normally, but fire better left handed and I am right eye dominant..... in a self defense situation I have heard that is is best to practice drawing with your dominant eye and what ever hand happens to be on the same side (right hand/right eye; left eye/left hand). That is just what I have been told. For me I have been practicing with my right eye and hand and although it has been really hard to get use to I have gotten a lot better. Now my shooting with my right is a lot better than with the right eye/left hand combo. Just takes practice.

h2oman

Smudge your left lens on your glasses with a bit of vasoline. Just in front of your eye. You should be able to have peripheral vision but blurry in front of you. Do this often enough and your right eye should come to pairity with your left in a short while. BTW hand guns should fired with both eyes open.

sixtyin5

Full Access Member
The Vaseline trick is a good one, but I don't think it will change your eye dominance. You can also use a small piece of scotch tape. (it's easier to clean off) But, the thing to learn here is to shoot with both eyes open, not to try and change dominance. JMO

Shooting with your dominant eye will improve your targets. I am a firm believer that you should learn to shoot with the hand that matches your dominant eye. If you have already been shooting "Cross-Dominant", this should help you shoot with your off hand.

I agree with h2oman, with handguns you should be shooting with both eyes open. Not only because you have better peripheral vision (think threat), but because you have better depth perception with both eyes open.

Practice, practice, practice... then practice some more...

Bootstrap

Full Access Member
Im going to try aiming up to my Left eye today at the range shooting right handed. As far as ling guns i just can't shoulder anything lefy handed, so ill continue to squint my left eye

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Bootstrap

Full Access Member
Even using my left dominant eye with both eyes open, i tend to lose the target, this doesn't happen with only one eye open.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

sixtyin5

Full Access Member
Even using my left dominant eye with both eyes open, i tend to lose the target, this doesn't happen with only one eye open.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

It's normal until you have trained yourself to use both eyes. But it will be extremely difficult if you are using your non-dominant eye.

As far as long guns go... yes, you can shoulder them lefty. Again, it's nothing more than learning how, and practicing.

When I had shoulder surgery last November I taught myself to shoot the AR-15 with my left side.

Start by using a supported position until you get use to the feel.

I have taught many shooters to shoot with their opposite hand with both handguns and rifles. It CAN be learned.

Bootstrap

Full Access Member
I can tell a difference in target acquisition on the left eye, its alot better faster, etc. I think ill keep my long guns on the right and close my left eye, works for me for shotgun at least. That and i have a couple grand in right handed shotguns lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Bigdaddy

Full Access Member
The Vaseline trick is a good one, but I don't think it will change your eye dominance. You can also use a small piece of scotch tape. (it's easier to clean off) But, the thing to learn here is to shoot with both eyes open, not to try and change dominance. JMO

Shooting with your dominant eye will improve your targets. I am a firm believer that you should learn to shoot with the hand that matches your dominant eye. If you have already been shooting "Cross-Dominant", this should help you shoot with your off hand.

This is what I do.
I agree with h2oman, with handguns you should be shooting with both eyes open. Not only because you have better peripheral vision (think threat), but because you have better depth perception with both eyes open.

I try this the last time I went to the ranges and man it was hard, coming from the military shooting my M16 and now a handgun but like you said practice.Practice, practice, practice... then practice some more...

But I will practice using both eyes.

blockdoc

Full Access Member
I agree with using the hand that matches your dominant eye, and keep both eyes open. It takes a little practice, but then when you get it down, it's the only way you'll shoot.

I've trained several people who were cross dominant to shoot that way, and they've all done very well. Personally, I like to be ambidextrous when it comes to shooting anyway. When I was growing up shooting with my dad & doing friendly competitions with each other, we'd throw in various twists. A common one was, "You have just been wounded in your right shoulder and can no longer use your right hand."

I can now shoot as well support side as strong side, and that has come in handy a few times when hunting. I'm just as accurate, but a little slower.

Practice both sides - you never know what could happen. My dad, who was a shooting instructor, had a brain injury and can not feel the right side of his body very well. He has no idea how much pressure he's applying to the trigger with his right hand. Good thing we did those drills.

Dr_Pain

Full Access Member
I vote for 2 guns, one in each hand, and "shoot till he don't move no more!".

or get a laser! Bead it and shoot it with both eyes open and draw from the waist.

blockdoc

Full Access Member
This was tested recently on a show I saw either on Outdoor channel or Sportsmans channel. A guy engaged targets with a pistol in each hand, then ran the same course with one pistol. The 1 gun technique resulted in much greater accuracy and significantly reduced time.

I put Crimson Trace grips on my wife's .38 - AFTER she developed competence without a laser. Optics and lasers are great tools - if you're not dependent on them. If you depend on it, when the battery fails or your zero is off, it can cost you your life. Used properly, accuracy and times can be very greatly improved.

Rusty Shackleford

Full Access Member
I'm also right handed and left eye dominate, I've just always shot from the left. Occasionally I'll shoot a pistol in my right hand but it feels odd.

Fuelie777

I am Left eye dominant and right handed. No problem with hand guns. With rifles I close my left eye. I believe it is a personal thing with what you are comfortable with. I know some very good national champions that are cross dominant. You can change, but it takes time and a lot of effort. Good Luck

mgentry

Full Access Member
My Wife and me

My wife is right handed and her left eye is dominate. She has has to work hard to develop her shooting skills. I am left handed (but right eye dominate) and for years, I have shot a pistol right handed and a rifle left handed. I changed to shooting rifles right handed and my accuracy improved tremendously. It took a lot of concentration to make the change, but it was for the best.

Mike Hammer

I was wondering if anyone else has the same issue I do. I'm right handed, and left eye dominant

Same problem here, I just tilt my head over so my left eye lines up with the sight. I do not even know I do any more it feels natural after all these years.

Bootstrap

Full Access Member
Same problem here, I just tilt my head over so my left eye lines up with the sight. I do not even know I do any more it feels natural after all these years.

I've started to practice this way, just line up my left eye, appreciate all of the responses guys

Members online

No members online now.