+P in an old Colt .38 Special

Cigars&Scotch

I got an old Colt Army .38 Special from a family member, and I had purchased some +P ammo for it. I didnt realize at the time what +P was, and am now wondering if it would be safe to use in that gun, any thoughts?

sixtyin5

Full Access Member
:dito: What kwo said.

Most handguns made after 1986 are safe to use +P in, but it gets hit or miss before that. And if the gun is pre circa 1958 and/or a revolver, DO NOT USE +P.

Last edited:

GLOCK V

Full Access Member
:dito: What kwo said.

Most handguns made after 1986 are safe to use +P in, but it gets hit or miss before that. And if the gun is pre circa 1958 and/or a revolver, DO NOT USE +P.

This ^ Most pre 1986 were not proofed for +P.

Full Access Member
I got an old Colt Army .38 Special from a family member, and I had purchased some +P ammo for it. I didnt realize at the time what +P was, and am now wondering if it would be safe to use in that gun, any thoughts?

I agree with the rest of the guy's,But would not be afraid to fire a couple of +Ps out of it just to feel the difference.I also have a Colt Army 38 special that i have been trying to identify,And date.I contacted Colt,Sent pics. And numbers.They said it is a Colt Army/Navy 38 spcl. manufactured in 1905.I was hoping you could maybe post pics. for me to compare? Here is a couple of pics. of mine.Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_0038.jpg
    IMG_0038.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0064.jpg
    IMG_0064.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 3

Members online

No members online now.