When was the last time you used a Bow?

Arckadian

For me the last time I remember using a Bow and Arrow setup was probably ....... back when I was a boy scout. I actually was a pretty decent shot back in the day. Now, I think that I would probably hit my knuckles with the string :p. Now I only ever used the stanard bow that the scouts let us use. I wouldnt mind getting a composite bow one of these days though.

ViperJeff

Administrator
I was in the USAF. My neighbor had a target set up in his back yard. We were stationed at Minot in ND and our living quarters were bordered along the back with a sunflower field. I don't remember hitting much more than dirt, I was pretty bad

Vj

Cheytac-M200

I think I was about 18 the last time I used a bow. I used to have an intermediate compound bow, but I was never good at it. Seeing the technology they have now, I am considering getting back into it.

Arckadian

I am thinking about it too, but before I get a bow I want to do some research and find out what kind would suit me best and then find one and try out the draw before I actually spend the money on somethin I may not like.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
I was a teenager using a fiberglass recurve bow. As I recall I wasn't too bad. Decided to pick something up a little more up to date. Got a older compound of ebay for $150 with case and arrows. Haven't used it yet. Need to get out and try it.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
When you do let me know I would love to hear how the compound bow preforms.

I picked up a Jennings BuckMaster for a good price. It's not the latest technology but a lot more than I've ever used. I need to set up a target and go out and get use to it. Just trying to figure out what makes a good backstop. Don't want my arrows going farther than I want. I know the compounds generate a lot of power.

Arckadian

hmmm the back stop would be a problem cause you dont want something so hard it would break the arrows, but not so pliable that you risk hurting someone..... what about combining 4 or 5 sheets of 1/2 inch plywood? do you think that would be a good start for testing? With that you could go out to the woods or a desert area to test it you. hehe The other thing you can do is get a dummy setup and fill it with sand and just go to the middle of nowhere and have at :)

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
hmmm the back stop would be a problem cause you dont want something so hard it would break the arrows, but not so pliable that you risk hurting someone..... what about combining 4 or 5 sheets of 1/2 inch plywood? do you think that would be a good start for testing? With that you could go out to the woods or a desert area to test it you. hehe The other thing you can do is get a dummy setup and fill it with sand and just go to the middle of nowhere and have at :)
I was thinking about stacking baled straw two high/two deep. If it's baled tightly enough, it should stop the arrows and not damage them. I may put some plywood behind that as a fail safe.

Arckadian

my question is how thick is a bale of straw? personally I wouldnt want to have to dig through the straw to get my arrow if it penetrated through the first one but not the second.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
my question is how thick is a bale of straw? personally I wouldnt want to have to dig through the straw to get my arrow if it penetrated through the first one but not the second.

It's about 24" on the long side by 18' by 18". You'd just have to separate the bails to find the arrow.
Straw.jpg

VIPR PWR HK

Full Access Member
At a Range in Hershy Penn. around the age of 12 .... I did own a Cross bow when I was in my mid 20's .. Ex-ended up stealing it and selling it ...

Arckadian

Now that is just plain evil. I have never used an X-bow but I have heard that they have a lot of power behind them when used. what happened with the ex after the x-bow was.... removed from your possesion? is that why she is the ex?

VIPR PWR HK

Full Access Member
Now that is just plain evil. I have never used an X-bow but I have heard that they have a lot of power behind them when used. what happened with the ex after the x-bow was.... removed from your possesion? is that why she is the ex?

They are pretty cool and powerful for what they are ... Very hard on the hands and arms to load though with your hands................... Oh , and I will never tell :D

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
At a Range in Hershy Penn. around the age of 12 .... I did own a Cross bow when I was in my mid 20's .. Ex-ended up stealing it and selling it ...

I think the concept of the crossbow is very cool. I was trying to decide between the crossbow and a compound bow for silent hunting. I chose the compound. I believe it is quicker on the reload and can be pretty darn quiet. But the crossbow may be easier to shoot. More rifle like.

VIPR PWR HK

Full Access Member
I think the concept of the crossbow is very cool. I was trying to decide between the crossbow and a compound bow for silent hunting. I chose the compound. I believe it is quicker on the reload and can be pretty darn quiet. But the crossbow may be easier to shoot. More rifle like.

Loading it by pulling the string back with your hands takes the fun factor out of it after a few loads ... More Rifle like and having sights makes for less practice though haha ... Yes , In my opinion a Compound bow is still the way to go ,especially for hunting ...:)

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Loading it by pulling the string back with your hands takes the fun factor out of it after a few loads ... More Rifle like and having sights makes for less practice though haha ... Yes , In my opinion a Compound bow is still the way to go ,especially for hunting ...:)

Yeah, I was under the impression that you'd have to lower the Crossbow down to ground level and place your foot in the stirrup and then pull back on the string to lock it in. Place bolt on perch and then re-aim to get the next shot off. A little more involved than a compound bow.

VIPR PWR HK

Full Access Member
Yeah, I was under the impression that you'd have to lower the Crossbow down to ground level and place your foot in the stirrup and then pull back on the string to lock it in. Place bolt on perch and then re-aim to get the next shot off. A little more involved than a compound bow.

Yes all true unless you have the built in cocking device on it ,, Speeds up loading 10 fold .... Still not as fast as a compound though .

Members online

No members online now.