Military M-16 and you

ViperJeff

Administrator
I didn't know, I will be looking more closely and asking additional questions

I have my eyes on a left handed AR-15, man it's sweet

IronworksTactical

The M16 uses 5.56 mm rounds, but yes the civilian version of the rounds it .223. Since I left the service I have not fired a rifle, but I am REALLY looking at possibly getting an AR 15. They are fairly close to the M16, but as I understand it not the same. I have never fired one, but I have held one...... very drool worthy.

A few misconceptions. The M-16 is literally a military designation for the AR-15. AR coming from Armalite later bought out by colt to sell to the military. Some of the receivers in the military actually say AR-15 on them. No different than the M9 is a beretta 92.

As for 223 and 5.56 their is a difference to be aware of. 5.56 is a higher pressure round. While the external dimensions are the same a 5.56 chamber can handle both while a 223 chamber is not safe to fire a 5.56 due to the increased pressure. Usually created by thicker case walls and same or more loads of powder. Reloading the brass it doesn't matter as you are working up safe loads no matter.

Check out my webstore. I sell stag complete uppers and rifles which has great customer service and are a division of CMT who supplies much of the dod contract parts to colt to make their military line of ARs. They are a better alternative to bushmaster in my opinion at the same price point. I also can do customs of exactly what you want. In all honesty buying an upper half and assembling the lower yourself (very easy with basic tools) is the cheapest as you avoid the 11% fed excuse tax. The upper is the difficult side of the house to assemble as all the accuracy stems from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sixtyin5

Full Access Member
Didn't Bushmaster just close up and get bought by a company in Maine? (Gotta look that one up)

If you are going to buy an AR, consider spending the extra $$ to get a piston driven version instead of the gas driven. It shoots the same, but the upper stays a LOT cleaner. We typically clean our AR's about every 500-600 rounds and they need it! With the piston driven version you could easily shoot 3 times that, oil it up, and take it back out. They stay extremely clean.

I have shot both the M-16 and the AR (With .223 and 5.56) and there isn't too much of a difference. The adjustable stock on the AR is nice, and the recoil spring helps but they shoot pretty much the same in my opinion.

Here is one of ours:
photobucket-41678-1349914513381.jpg

sixtyin5

Full Access Member
Ah ha! This is what I was talking about:
Since Windham Weaponry is a brand new manufacturer that has risen from the ashes of what was the manufacturing facility of Bushmaster Firearms, it seems only logical to begin by telling this story that fortunately has a happy ending.

So it seems only part of Bushmaster closed... I was told differently, but I am not surprised by the wrong info considering the source. :rolleyes:

GLOCK V

Full Access Member
Ah ha! This is what I was talking about:
Since Windham Weaponry is a brand new manufacturer that has risen from the ashes of what was the manufacturing facility of Bushmaster Firearms, it seems only logical to begin by telling this story that fortunately has a happy ending.

So it seems only part of Bushmaster closed... I was told differently, but I am not surprised by the wrong info considering the source. :rolleyes:

Yep the old owner bought a closed factory and started windham firearms plus he re hired the workers that lost there jobs. There not bushmaster there winhams and there in alot of ways better then bushmaster. there was a really good write up in shotgun news a few months back.

sixtyin5

Full Access Member
Yep the old owner bought a closed factory and started windham firearms plus he re hired the workers that lost there jobs. There not bushmaster there winhams and there in alot of ways better then bushmaster. there was a really good write up in shotgun news a few months back.

I had heard that their stuff was pretty good quality for the money.

USMC1188

I don't know much about ARs vs M16s besides the AR doesn't have the burst option...

BUT, I shot expert 2 years and Sharpshooter the other 2 on the A2 and then the A4. They are a great weapons system

Radical Tactical

I have a Rock River AR15 that was issued to me. I installed a self purchase EOTech and the weapon is solid and extremely accurate at 100 yards, with or without the optics. Fortunately, I get open range day once a month, I get to shoot free ammo, i know, it's rough, but I manage. Prior to that, I had a self purchase Bushmaster patrol rifle, which was also a great weapon.

I also shot expert with the m16 back in my military days, great weapon. I prefer the adjustable stock. With an optic, the ar15 platform is one bad azz weapon, IMO.

If you do decide to purchase, go with the piston, like Sixty said. The gun runs cool and clean. I love shooting, but sometimes I just leave my AR in the rack, because I just not looking forward to cleaning it. I know, I'm just being lazy, but I'll go out and put 500 rounds thru my Glock.

TheFuzz

Full Access Member
I also shot expert in my time, with both the M9 and the M4 Carbine (and I was in the USAF ;)).

With respect, there are lots of people, save a few, that are spouting tons of misinformation in this thread.

1. The M-16A1/A2/A3, CAR-15, M4A1, M4 SOPMOD, etc, are ALL just numbers and letters. They are military designations for different variations of the basic AR-15 platform. Some are semi-only, some are burst fire, some are fully automatic. Some are 14.5" long, some are 18" long, some are 20" long. Everything is identical except the sear/disconnector (for the burst/auto guns), bolt carrier, and barrel length. Civilians do not own M4's or M16's; they own AR-15s (unless it's a pre-86 weapon or is equipped with an RDIAS - but that's a whole 'nother topic). The AR-15 is most basic varient of the platform, and is semi-automatic.

2. Again - .223 and 5.56 are NOT interchangeable. It doesn't matter if the manufacturer put a warning on the gun or not, if you have a .223 chamber, do not run 5.56mm ammo. This has already been covered by a few of the more knowledgeable folks in here, but it needs to be reiterated. The milsurp 5.56mm stuff IS different, is more hotly loaded, and will eventually cause you some serious heartburn. If you have a 5.56mm chamber, you can run either caliber. The 5.56mm chambering is designed to handle the hotter military rounds, so it can run the civvy .223 stuff without issue.

IronworksTactical

With one exception. The .223 Wylde chamber which will also shoot both safely as it was specifically designed to. Otherwise great info above.

IronworksTactical

It's getting a lot more common. I just built a lightweight build using one and am really happy with it. Wylde with 1:8 twist mid gas on a 16" barrel with very aggressive comp. runs great.
7ebyvere.jpg

TheFuzz

Full Access Member
Nice rig. I've been dying to do a suppressed SBR setup, and for my next build I've been thinking about 6.8SPC in a 14.5" middy or going full-bore shorty and doing a 12.5" in .300BLK with provisions for a can.

All that being said, 5.56mm is plentiful and I don't reload, so I'm not sure if a "specialty" cartridge is worth the investment. I might just stick with 5.56mm and call it a day. Maybe I'll give that Wylde chambering a go...

Decisions, decisions.

IronworksTactical

Nice rig. I've been dying to do a suppressed SBR setup, and for my next build I've been thinking about 6.8SPC in a 14.5" middy or going full-bore shorty and doing a 12.5" in .300BLK with provisions for a can.

All that being said, 5.56mm is plentiful and I don't reload, so I'm not sure if a "specialty" cartridge is worth the investment. I might just stick with 5.56mm and call it a day. Maybe I'll give that Wylde chambering a go...

Decisions, decisions.

I use the 6.8 to hunt with and it's an outstanding hunting round. I use a 16" rig because I'm in ca ugh but a couple guys I hunt with in Texas run 12.5" canned 6.8's. The great thing about the 6.8 is the shorter barrels have very little negative return in ballistics.
agyqe6us.jpg

Mines the black one. A buddy I hunt with a lot who used 30-06 shot mine and decided he needed one. So I built the one in FDE.

12.5 canned 6.8 for night hunting hog.
gyzaduvu.jpg

Last edited:

cce1302

Full Access Member
I shot expert 5x with the M-16. What was the question again? :)

I find it hard to believe that Colt would mislabel a select-fire M-16 as an AR-15.

Rusty Shackleford

Full Access Member
I find it hard to believe that Colt would mislabel a select-fire M-16 as an AR-15.

Not a mislabel at all, the AR-15 name has been around longer than the M-16 designation.

46c2d070b64c05b3b242b01188faff66.jpg

Aside from the early rifles that had AR-15 stamped on them colt also sold select fire rifles marked with AR-15 up until the 86 machine gun ban.

Silver-Bolt

Full Access Member
Military for me started with the M16A1 and then to the CAR-15. Currently have a Sig-516 & Sig-716 on order.

Sgt. Rock

Full Access Member
Shot expert in the Air Force back in '75 on some range outside of Wiesbaden..hit 40 for 40..wished I had saved that target for the First Sgt. was pretty impressed with the pattern. Told him I was imagining shooting commies coming over the border..funny thing was Saigon fell a week later.

Attachments

• USAF small arms expert ribbon.jpg
    USAF small arms expert ribbon.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 6

Members online

No members online now.